A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Unexplained 'rare' startup problems went away after service, y is this? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unexplained 'rare' startup problems went away after service, y is this? (long)

A few months back I posted about my strange start-up problem that only happened upon first morning start-up. The car would turn over quickly as it always does but then the idol would drop under normal idol range, almost die but then would recover and idol normally. Sometimes the idol drop would be pretty lengthy (up to 4 seconds) but the car would always recover and never die (chk engine light would never come on during this). Now most of the responses I got were that I had an intake leak somewhere, hard to imagine having only 21k miles and un-chipped, but I checked it out anyways but never found anything obvious or out of the ordinary. After my 20k service maint this annoyance has seemed to go away (without ever mentioning it to the service dept). How could this be? They changed the oil and topped the fluids. Which of those could have possibly fixed a problem like I was having?
Old 12-28-2001, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your intake throttle body might have been carboned up, and they ran a "throttle body adaptation"more

Which adjusts the throttle butterfly to the current engine conditions. Maybe they sprayed some carb cleaner in there, then ran the adaptation...
Throttle body adaptation can be done a few ways, you say you're not chipped, as APR puts throttle body adaptation in some of their chip offerings.
The VAG-COM tool can also be used, and also unplugging the ECU and plugging it back in will cause a throttle adaptation to occur.

Could have been something else but this is the first thing to try (its easy) for idle issues.
Vic
Old 12-28-2001, 09:37 AM

Default That would be consistant with the fact that when I'd turn the key to the 'on' position...

and leave it there for a few seconds before actually starting the car, the problem never happened (before the service maint). It was the only way I kept it from doing the annoying startup thing. But now after the maint I can just turn the car over without the wait and it doesn't have the problem anymore, I think you are quite correct, it makes perfect sense.