A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

WARNING - Stainless Brake Line Failure (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-1999, 06:33 PM
Ray Calvo

Default WARNING - Stainless Brake Line Failure (Long)

This was archived about an hour after I psted it; felt it was important enuf to repost.<p>I just read this on the Porsche user's list(rennlist.org)<br>---------------------------------------------<p>Subject: SS brake line failure<br>From: "Jagernauth, Stephen, BMSPR" <br>Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:32:04 -0400<br>X-Message-Number: 9<p>Safety alert: I had a SS braided brake line fail without warning thispast weekend on my Targa at a DE event at Pocono. Luckily, the pedal went to the floor in the parking lot instead of the end of the back straight at 125mph. These are quality Earl's lines which I inspect very<br>frequently for frays etc. There is no visible outward sign of any damage to the SS braid. There is a pinhole with fluid spurting out<br>where I surmise the inner braid punctured the liner. The lines have been on the car for at least 4 years. I'm now converted to religion and<br>will go back to factory rubber ASAP and change the new SS lines on the coupe also when I do a brake upgrade.<p>I hope not to stir up the ongoing debate of SS vs. rubber again but thought those of you using SS lines ought to know. I'll try to perform<br>an autospy on the bad line to try to find cause of failure and post the results.<p>(yes, I know they're supposed to be changed with some frequency, now I'm convinced)<p>Regards,<p>Steve Jagernauth sjagernauth@ems.att.com<br>'74 911/3.0 Bahama Blue Targa<br>'74 911/3.0 Copper Coupe<p>--------------------------------------<p>Subject: Re: SS brake line failure<br>From: "Stefan Fielding-Isaacs" <br>Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 17:03:14 -0700<br>X-Message-Number: 16<p>I used to race motorcycles (amateur and professional briefly). We used steel lines extensively and I eventually converted to Kevlar lines. The chief problem with steel lines was exactly what you encountered. A single stray steel wire could penetrate the core and lead to catastrophic failure. As you might imagine, this is even worse on a motorcycle than in a car.<p>We came up with two solutions. (1) use a nylon braid over the steel line (protecting it from abrasion and crimping), or (2) encase the entire<br>steel line in a plastic sheath (merely clear plastic tubing of the right ID).<p>I don't really like the idea of SS lines on a car. Too easy to get lazy and not do the visual inspection.<p>Stef<p>
Old 05-26-1999, 07:04 AM
Jon C

Default my PCA friends/ Porsche Tech recommend strongly against SS brake lines for any street car...

in their view it's for track cars only: too many failures like this with no external signs. They strongly advise against them for street cars....
Old 05-26-1999, 07:29 AM
ErikR

Default Stainless Brake Line Failures common...

The weave can trap grit, which will wear a hole. And the "slider" or other attachments can snag. I had on rupture on the front on an old CSP car, and was left with only the handbrake (so much for dual/diagonal safety systems). <p>The rupture was a known problem, it turns out, and they replaced it for free.<p>I don't care for them except on true race cars.
Old 05-26-1999, 07:19 PM
Cathleen

Default Use Goodridge Kevlar/SS lines

The Kevlar & SS lines by Goodridge would be a safer option vs. the Teflon/SS lines which are prone to punctures from the SS threads. <br>-C.