A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Weird stalling problem, need some help / advice.......(long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2000, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird stalling problem, need some help / advice.......(long)

Well to start I have a 99.5 1.8TQMS with about 30K miles. About a year ago I was having problems with my car "hiccupping" (stalling then restarting) during steady driving. I'd be going in 2nd or 3rd about 2200-2800rpms and the car would stall and restart, once the check engine light came on then turned off. I took it to the dealer and they road tested it and checked for error codes. They found nothing wrong and gave me the same "everythings normal" speech.

Well things have gotten a bit worst in the last few months. About a month ago I drove to work (~30miles) and then park the car. After about 3 hours I drove to lunch (~ 3 miles) then came back to work and parked the car. About 6 hours later I got in the car, started it, and then started to drive off. Before I could get out of the parking lot the car completely stalled. I started it, drove off and everything seemed fine.

A few weeks later I had the same thing happen except this time the car stalled, I restarted it and then a few feet later it stalled again. Then after I restarted it and drove off, everything seemed fine again.

Well a few weeks later (again) the same situation happen but this time the car didn't stall right away. I drove a few miles and got on the freeway then all of the sudden the car stalled. This time it wouldn't start right away. I tried cranking it over several times but it wouldn't start. Then about 5 minutes later the car started. I started to drive off but as soon as I shifted the car stalled again. I started it up again and then the car stalled again as I tried to shift. I then started it again and just drove about 1/2 mile in first before I shifted. The car drove fine after that and has been fine for the last few days.

Anyone have any ideas? I know that if I take it to the dealer without the problem happening that I'll just get the "everythings normal" speech.

Thanks,

Alex M.
Old 12-20-2000, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the car chipped? If so it could be bad soldering...when you shift there may be enough chassis

flex to allow the chip to loose contact and the car stalls out...just a theory.

Regards,

James R.

2001 A4 1.8TQMSXP (Oettinger Pedals, Oettinger RE's 17x8 Yoko AVS Sports 225/45/R17, Euro Xenon Housings, Bailey BPV, Turbo5 Intake and RS4 Grille)
Old 12-20-2000, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel Pump on it's last throws of functionality?