A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

what is the coldest? got -16.5 this morning. (celcius) (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-1999, 10:16 AM
randall

Default what is the coldest? got -16.5 this morning. (celcius) (long)

what is the coldest temp reading u have seeen on your a4?<p>Anyone else notice that when it is cold:<p>1. Driver's side keyhole froze. One pull on the handle, and 10 seconds later no problem. However, in 2 hours refroze. (no problem on passenger's side)<p>2. Groaning and cracking noises from the windshield. I assume this is the glass expanding.<p>3. Steering squeeks. Sounds like plastic on plastic. I assume this is from rubbing parts. Goes away when the interior heats up.<p>4. Does not get hot fast enough!!! Heated seats to the rescue. However, another question: Lets say the temp is set at auto at 20DeGC. When the computer finally turns on the fan, is it pumping air at 20C, or does it pump at max heat until proper cabin temp is reached and then back off. My hand seems to tell me that i can heat up the interior faster at max, then put it back to auto, that using full auto.<p>5. The Car GOES!!! I assume (again) that cooler denser air = hp. I can really punch it and feel the difference. <p>Comments?<p>1996 a4 2.8 qm (12v)
Old 01-02-1999, 11:09 AM
Rich D.

I've gotten -6*F (= -21*C, if I remember the conversion right) this year.
Old 01-02-1999, 12:42 PM
Brent

Default Had -29C last week, some thoughts...

Ya, -29C last week. I'm sure I'll have even colder temperatures at some point this winter. Regarding the A4 in the extreme cold, I do have one beef so far with my A4. I believe the passenger side (front) defrosting capabilities is not as strong as the driver side. This is common in many vehicles, but the passenger side defrosting performance is quite a bit off from that of the driver's side. I love the remote locking for winter as you don't have to be fumbling with you key to enter the vehicle. Winter tires rule for the snow. Can't say enough good things about quattro in the Canadian winter...
Old 01-02-1999, 04:12 PM
Fly Boy

Default -28 F Lake Placid N.Y.

A friends tow company received 236 calls of people whos cars wouldn't start! And that was before noon. The town only has 3000 residents! A4 w/Amsoil 0w/30 no problem on first crank. <br>
Old 01-02-1999, 04:17 PM
GusS

Default Re: what is the coldest? got -16.5 this morning. (celcius) (long)

I'm also in Canada and during the past 3 days the avg temp I've seen on the trip computer was -24 Celsius<p>regarding <br>3. I noticed something very cool. If you set the temp at 27 (C) when you start the engine after its been left in the cold for a while, as long as the fan is blowing cold air the auto fan speed is at 1 unit and only goes up once it senses that the heater is starting to warm up the car.<p>gus<br>98.5 2.8q
Old 01-02-1999, 09:15 PM
tHe uNaBimMer

Amsoil Series 2000 0W30-----Great oil!
Old 01-03-1999, 08:06 AM
gerry

Default - 10 F in Denver

The week before Christmas it got as cold as it's been here in seven years hovering below and around 0 F. I developed a rattle in the dash on the passenger side that changes when i open the glove box. <p>PS- I used to ski at Whiteface (Lake Placid) and I don't miss the -27 F days!
Old 01-03-1999, 07:53 PM
fgoldy

Default Re: what is the coldest? -30 F in Steamboat Colorado 2 weeks ago

It was -30F in the valley a few weeks ago and the car started, although the trip computer display was a little freakerd for a while. The car warmed up pretty well and the heated seats warmed up too. It did start, but sounded pretty bad for a while. I am thinking of looking into a block heater for those days and to keep things flowing more smoothly. also need to put in less viscous oil next time.