A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

What happens to a dealer when you don't rate them a '5' for exceptional service?...more

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens to a dealer when you don't rate them a '5' for exceptional service?...more

Seems that they take every measure in the world to make sure you'll give them that 5.

Case in point: my last experience with a dealer wasn't the greatest, and I planned on telling the AoA rep that called what happened and why they didn't deserve a 5. The dealer knew I was a bit ticked off, so they waited a week and had someone call me back to follow up on my visit (again, from the dealer, not AoA). I've never had a dealer followup call, so I am guessing my name went on a list at the dealer to get called back and ensure satisfaction. I explained the person who called my problems with the dealer, who assured me the service mgr would be calling me back to follow up (but, I am not how much they can do, as the issue was them not having the ability to measure and adjust bumpsteer on their alignment rack).

Anyway, what happens when you get them a rating lower than a 5? Is it tied to the yearly bonus for the dealership? Does it go down as a red mark on the service managers record? Anyone know the deal?

thanks.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:53 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default They get blown up.

well, we can hope anyway.... :-)
Old 05-18-2004, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default They go to hell

seriously, I don't know - Qfrog might now. But yeah, they always made sure that I was going to give them a 5 before I left.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:01 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I believe it's tied to their compensation...

Based on some people's accounts of what has happened when they gave less than a 5, I have to assume compensation comes into play. Best bet, if you're not happy about something, tell them before you walk out the door, and discuss it. If they are genuinely interested in making you happy, they will do everything in their power to do so, or at least take measures to make sure the problem is addressed at your next visit. In short, give them a chance to earn the 5. If they still don't earn a 5, then give them the rating you think they deserve.

In general, I'll give my dealer all 5's. If there is an issue, I call the service manager directly, and work it out. In every case, he's made good, so I always give them 5's, even when they haven't yet worked out the issue.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:02 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bruno pays you a visit and breaks your legs.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Only if the dealer is in New Jersey.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I believe it's tied to their compensation...

I agree, I've definitely given them 5's in the past. And if service was sub-par, I always call them back to let them know. This past vist, I ended up following up with the service advisor (and the not the service mgr like I probably should have). I was planning on giving the dealer 3's or 4's in the review, and explaining the situation to the AoA rep. But, now that a representative from the dealer called me back to ensure my satisfaction, and told me that I'd get a call from the Service Manager, I'll definitely try to work things out as well.

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely let you know how it turns out...
Old 05-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Elder Member

Default Re: I believe it's tied to their compensation...

"Best bet, if you're not happy about something, tell them before you walk out the door, and discuss it. If they are genuinely interested in making you happy, they will do everything in their power to do so, or at least take measures to make sure the problem is addressed at your next visit. In short, give them a chance to earn the 5."

Very mature answer, and a very smart way of building a good relationship with your dealer...
Old 05-18-2004, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Could not tell you what happen to the dealer...I can tell you what happens to you

Next time you go in for service.
The service desk black lists ya.
What that means....They can mess with you, like they will try to charge you for something. Also if u are in need for a loaner, they'll refuse to give you a loaner. If they see your not using OEM wiper blades they can try to void your warrranty...etc
At least this is how it works in NJ.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree - here is a full explaination...more......

I hear that...

Of course, I don't want to give them less than a 5, but if they did sometime big enough to warrant it, then I think it should be given.

And, based on the past visit, it is highly unlikely I'd return there (if they can't get this issue cleared up, or at least try to make me happier). I bought the car from Jack Daniels in northern NJ, and stopped going there after the car wash boys were stealing my change (pennies included) from the car.

Bottom line is, they had me come in on a Sat to take a ride with tech. Tech identified problem immediately in suspension. Service told me they had a busy Saturday, and asked if I could bring back in the middle of next week and get a loaner. Of course, I was fine with this and had no problems.

Brought car back, got loaner, got call from tem next day. Turned out they didn't have the correct attachment for their alignment rack to fix what was needed, and a different tech adjusted a tie rod a bit and thought the car felt a bit better. I asked if they at least gave me an alignment after 'making adjustments' and they said no. I stopped by to pick it up, thinking that it must feel pretty good if the tech feels that the problem has somewhat disappeared. Upon picking it up, I see that someone opened a door on the car, scratching up my door (the paint was still fresh and chipping off). The service manager comes out and offers to have it painted (its a scratch, doesn't need painting IMHO, but I respect the offer). At this point, the dealer is still a 5 in my book.

Get in the car, feels a bit different, like they adjusted my toe a bit, but still have the problem I brought it in for. Call them back, service advisor (not manager) tells me that he didn't know they didn't have the correct tool, and he was sorry I had to come in for more or less a wasted visit (dealer is 20 miles out of the way, each way - had to go up there twice in two days, for nothing is a pain in the neck). The service advisor more or less told me that there was nothing more they could do for me.

Which brings me to the point now....

Quick Reply: What happens to a dealer when you don't rate them a '5' for exceptional service?...more