A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Whistle when heavily accelerating, boost leak issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistle when heavily accelerating, boost leak issue?

Ive been driving around with a loud whistle when heavily accelerating but i'm not too sure what exactly it would be.. my guess is a boost leak issue because when the gauge hits around 7psi it starts to whistle but then when it tops out at 10 psi it's loud as hell.

https://youtu.be/NU7N8ZAKRBQ

this is the closest video i could find of the exact noise i hear. i know it's volkswagen on audiworld but it's the same 1.8 engine. any ideas on what it could be? i bought this car cheap and was planning to fix it up myself which has been going very well so far, i just can't figure out where the hell this sound is coming from or what it is. i just want to make sure i'm not ruining my car driving it around like this
Old 06-11-2017, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They do that, mine has done it since I chipped it (last 17 years). Not a problem, IIRC you could change the hoses on the turbo over to the automatic version and it would stop. It is like you are blowing across the top of a soda bottle.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default could be normal, could not be.

Originally Posted by David.Norton
They do that, mine has done it since I chipped it (last 17 years). Not a problem, IIRC you could change the hoses on the turbo over to the automatic version and it would stop. It is like you are blowing across the top of a soda bottle.
This may be... but my turbo, after installing a rebuilt k04 w/ stage 2 chip, was definitely making this type of sound, and certainly not a normal one. I'm kinda worried that it was the "dentist drill" sound, but it seemed more like the turbo spool was escaping through a small leak really close to the turbo... more like a whistle from a tea pot than a spool. Like this thing would be screamin' in pain.

I know turbo's do have a bit of a whistle when they spool, but mine was whistling extremely loud in what seemed to be a leak near the turbo... like blowing a blade of grass between your fingers.

O.P - is this was you're experiencing?

Right now I'm doing a big project on my car, and have yet to test it... but I did find one of my manifold>turbo bolts was loose, as well as I might've had some bolts on my High Flow Cat not so properly set up (basically potential leak at the turbo / cat gaskets... or MAYBE leaking from my FMIC piping).
Old 06-12-2017, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

worth noting also: I wouldn't even really boost when my car made this noise, it would boost freakin' crazy, wayy past 20psi ( and I'd barely be pulling ) .
Old 06-15-2017, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by eatlas
This may be... but my turbo, after installing a rebuilt k04 w/ stage 2 chip, was definitely making this type of sound, and certainly not a normal one. I'm kinda worried that it was the "dentist drill" sound, but it seemed more like the turbo spool was escaping through a small leak really close to the turbo... more like a whistle from a tea pot than a spool. Like this thing would be screamin' in pain.

I know turbo's do have a bit of a whistle when they spool, but mine was whistling extremely loud in what seemed to be a leak near the turbo... like blowing a blade of grass between your fingers.

O.P - is this was you're experiencing?

Right now I'm doing a big project on my car, and have yet to test it... but I did find one of my manifold>turbo bolts was loose, as well as I might've had some bolts on my High Flow Cat not so properly set up (basically potential leak at the turbo / cat gaskets... or MAYBE leaking from my FMIC piping).
No, this is definitely something different. It sounds like its coming from the inter cooler area but I cant actually locate it in park, or whilst driving. Now saying that, I've seen videos of closing up the system and pumping air into it to find leaks.. that may be the way to go. And thanks for the replies guys!!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cokedude
No, this is definitely something different. It sounds like its coming from the inter cooler area but I cant actually locate it in park, or whilst driving. Now saying that, I've seen videos of closing up the system and pumping air into it to find leaks.. that may be the way to go. And thanks for the replies guys!!
Okay, yeah, a boost leak test will probably do some good.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Late af / bump

well, a lot has gone into fixing up leaks. back then i did the boost leak test, found out that the TIP was completely torn to shreds by the turbo inlet, also a few small leaks from smaller places. All the leaks that are noticeable have been filled, and i did the diy boost leak test at 20 psi. still makes the same noise though and i still can not figure it out. https://streamable.com/ke1qc

i actually recorded it this time, i’ve looked everywhere in the car, searched hundreds of threads on many forums, but can’t find a solid solution. it feels like the only way i can find it would be to bring it to some dyno and do a few pulls, or i could do it the healthy way and put it in drive and give it some gas while someone listens from the side. as i’m typing this, i wonder if it’s some sort of exhaust leak when it’s pressurized. I wouldn’t doubt it by the way it’s welded together, i’ll have to take pics of the “a+” job whoever owned the car before did