A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Window regulator green clip - 1998 A5 B5 1.8T

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Window regulator green clip - 1998 A5 B5 1.8T

The front passenger side window was slow to get up/down. Then gave out entirely. Thought is was motor (got new one).

Taking apart today, found that the motor is fine, but the green window regulator clips are broken (that connects the glass to the regulator wire). Turns out to be quite common problem. Checked the other windows, found that driver side rear window is also only coming up on one side.

Audi can't identify the part. Found A6 C6 at ECSTUNING. Heard the Audi part is $6/each.

a) can someone help what to tell Audi to order the part?
b) part number or official term?
c) alternative source where to get the part?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Looks Audi is not selling the clips alone (only A6 pink clip; there is a DIY mod our there to use those).
Leaves Audi regulator ($140 plus tax), Ebay regulator (ca. $70).
Found a guy in UK on ebay who sells a pair bus $20 shipping (next day express international), so total for 2 is around $34.
Also found a company in Turkey (ordered from them, paid paypal. Converted to US$ it was $26 shipped for 2).
Both of the above are white (while the original one is green).

So next time a junk car is around, make sure to take those green plastic thingies off for you fellow forum guys.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

It depends on how yours broke, but on mine, a drilled hole and screw/nut was all it took to get it working again.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
It depends on how yours broke, but on mine, a drilled hole and screw/nut was all it took to get it working again.
I found ca. 13 pieces in the bottom of the door. Could not puzzle them together.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtraudt
I found ca. 13 pieces in the bottom of the door. Could not puzzle them together.
I ran into this issue. Some people modify a6 clips to fit but requires some drilling (maybe more? idk) I went the oem way because I didn't have time to mess around.

Passengers think i'm joking when I say "easy on the doors" when they're getting in/out. I love my car but this was definitely one of those bad design flaws
Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by xsrfsno225x
I ran into this issue. Some people modify a6 clips to fit but requires some drilling (maybe more? idk) I went the oem way because I didn't have time to mess around.

Passengers think i'm joking when I say "easy on the doors" when they're getting in/out. I love my car but this was definitely one of those bad design flaws
Modifying the pink A6 clip is possible, but elaborate. Either drill and file/dremel the metal piece to accept the A6 clip nipple, or cut nipple off and drill/insert 3 sheetmetal screws to bolt clip to the metal. I decided to go the Turkey route and ordered 2 clips for $26 incl. shipping (UK ebay route with next day international freight for 2 clips (found after paying for Turkey with paypal) was $32 I think.

3rd: aftermarket ebay complete regulator ($70)
4th: OEM for $140 plus tax.
well, and the 'go to Audi shop' for several 100 $$$.

It seems it is a VERY common issue, and Audi is taking full advantage of it (by milking hundreds of $$$ from poor users).

My driver side rear door also shows signs (only comes up on one side, binding; mean clip on other side also broken). I did NOT see a clip for the rear doors, though. Can someone chime in if they are the same as the front?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Slow or stuck Audi Window

I checked around in Europe (I am German) and found a manufacturer. I ordered the clip (theirs are white). Installed a couple of weeks ago (B5 A4, front passenger side). Worked like a charm (no bending, drilling, etc.). Remove inside door panel, remove 4 (?) screws to get regulator out. Remove broken clip. Insert/snap in new clip. Push steel wire ends in. Assemble.

I am now in the process of ordering the various parts (also rollers, etc.) for the more common US models and will stock them here. A typical clip is $12 shipped, 2 for $20.

I can check (Model, year) if/what I will have in stock soon. PM me.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I just bought my 97 A4 with the passanger side clips broken and the driver side just went out this weekend. I found these on eBay and should have the driver side part tomorrow. I could only find these from international sites so the shipping is the worse part but I bought both for the price of one regulator.

AUDI A4 WINDOW REGULATOR Clip FRONT LEFT 94-01 US $12.99
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

AUDI A4 B5 WINDOW REGULATOR REPAIR CLIPS FRONT RIGHT US $13.90

This wont be here for another week

As soon as I install the drivers side tomorrow I'll let you know how they work out.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They are around $33 shipped. Look (white) like the ones I found and are now planning to import and stock here.

I am currently putting together a stock order. I could get yours 'expedited'; unless you ordered already.

I would like to get few firm oders in (to justify the stock order).

Originally Posted by LoCus2021
So I just bought my 97 A4 with the passanger side clips broken and the driver side just went out this weekend. I found these on eBay and should have the driver side part tomorrow. I could only find these from international sites so the shipping is the worse part but I bought both for the price of one regulator.

AUDI A4 WINDOW REGULATOR Clip FRONT LEFT 94-01 US $12.99

AUDI A4 B5 WINDOW REGULATOR REPAIR CLIPS FRONT RIGHT US $13.90

This wont be here for another week

As soon as I install the drivers side tomorrow I'll let you know how they work out.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by vtraudt
They are around $33 shipped. Look (white) like the ones I found and are now planning to import and stock here.

I am currently putting together a stock order. I could get yours 'expedited'; unless you ordered already.

I would like to get few firm oders in (to justify the stock order).
Yeah I bought them already. I kinda wish someone in the states had them.

Quick Reply: Window regulator green clip - 1998 A5 B5 1.8T