A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Window/Sunroof operation fails

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window/Sunroof operation fails

Windows and sunroof no longer operate on 98 A4 B5 1.8T
Changed all fuses for sunroof and windows.
Searched under drivers seat for window controller, not found.
Pulled dash under steering wheel, window controller not found. there is a number of relays located under steering dash but docs I have do not indicate any for windows or sunroof.
Pulled off door strip to look under driver side carpet, not found.
Pulled out Power Locking Module, (some posts suggested this) replaced twice but did not fix windows, as the controller for the windows does not appear to be included in that module.
Some say there is not Window control module.
I can put the windows up and down with the key in the door sequence, so the motors do work.
Help please??
Old 05-19-2019, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you checked the driver door jamb wiring harness? The wires crack or break here after many years of flexing. Look closely, not always easily evident.
None of the window switches work? Not even the ones on the other doors?

regarding the sunroof, check for power at the roof switch. Does the key in door open the sunroof?
Old 05-19-2019, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Windows/Sunroof not operational

Originally Posted by clancy
Have you checked the driver door jamb wiring harness? The wires crack or break here after many years of flexing. Look closely, not always easily evident.
None of the window switches work? Not even the ones on the other doors?

regarding the sunroof, check for power at the roof switch. Does the key in door open the sunroof?
Yes the key in the door opens the sunroof when the key is held and someone else uses the sunroof switch.
I will check the wiring in the door, wires looked good going to the door when I pulled up the carpet. When I pulled out the Power locking module in back all the wires were good and connectors were clean and shiny. No evidence of any water inside the car ever. Do you know if it is true that my 98 A4 B5 doesn't have a CCM or power window control module like the other year models?
Old 10-03-2019, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default I have similar problem on 2001 A4

The one difference is that the only window that doesn’t work at all with ether of the two switches on the drivers door is the front passenger side. Although all windows and sunroof work with the key (when held for a few seconds) up&down...
one other thing is that both the switches in the driver side and the passenger side; when actuated make an audible click in the passenger side door, just no movement at all from the window..
I just read about the reset so I haven’t had time too try that yet but thought I would make a post in case anyone has seen or heard of this before and know why it is happening.
Thanks for any tips
Old 10-05-2019, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No window switches work on any door, sunroof switch doesn't work. Key in door operates windows and sunroof.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Lots of old threads about others with similar issues. Here is just one example. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...2379267/page3/.

Your response regarding a thorough check for damaged wires in the door jamb was not clear to me. Did you pull the boot back in the driver side door and look? Have you removed the door card and looked at all the wires after entering the door? I once found a broken wire here but it was back inside the jamb frame not the door nearly an inch. I don’t know this is conclusively your problem, just not sure you have ruled it out for certain.

You know all the windows and roof work. So you just need to find where the power is lost. Have you scanned with VCDS? Do you have a wiring diagram? I would spend a couple hours searching this forum and reading all the similar threads. Someone has likely solved it before.

Last edited by clancy; 10-05-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

All wires to switch were in good shape, But the Driver door switch failed, got that fixed and all windows and sunroof work just fine!! Stupid of me since their was power to the windows as demonstrated holding the key in the driver door, then something between had to be broken. One thing to remember, the 1998 A4 that has the small led display above the steering wheel does not have a Comfort Control Unit as far as I can tell. My manual doesn't tell me this, but there were two different 1998 models built, I've had both.