A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Won't start with camshaft position sensor. Please HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start with camshaft position sensor. Please HELP

Hi,

Definitely need help from you guys, here is my story. Timing belt was snapped due to the bad water pump. Replaced all the valves, gaskets , etc. Put everything back together. All the timings are on the marks - 16 links, top dead center on both crank and cam. The car won't start.
Cleaned MAF sensor. Adjusted the throttle. Replaced all coil packs, spark plugs. Still won't start.

Took the camshaft position sensor out. The car started with very poor idling. OBD II gave the code P0300 - random misfire. Don't know what to do now

Please help. Any idea would be appreciated.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remove the little metal reluctor wheel thing the sensor reads from and inspect it. Its possible for them to not stay put when tightening them and it will turn with the bolt, and flatten out the locating tang throwing the perceived cam timing off.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I did exactly as what you said but still have no luck. Any more idea?
Old 05-07-2015, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So if you just unplug the sensor, and start it, then plug it back in, does it just die?
Old 05-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
So if you just unplug the sensor, and start it, then plug it back in, does it just die?
Exactly, it is just like what you said. The engine shuts off right when I put the sensor back in. What's wrong with it?
Old 05-08-2015, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Man your really certain about the 16 links, and that the cam timing is right on for sure? Crank pulley mark lined up with the dent on the lower cover, and the cam mark is dead on with the mark on the valve cover? Some 1.8 cars have a crank pulley that can be put on 2 ways, the pulley will have 2 little holes the dimple on the cog can fit into. This would radically change timing if the dimple were put into the other hole and then timed the engine.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Man your really certain about the 16 links, and that the cam timing is right on for sure? Crank pulley mark lined up with the dent on the lower cover, and the cam mark is dead on with the mark on the valve cover? Some 1.8 cars have a crank pulley that can be put on 2 ways, the pulley will have 2 little holes the dimple on the cog can fit into. This would radically change timing if the dimple were put into the other hole and then timed the engine.
Not really sure. lol. It's my first time working on this thing. I used a reference from ross-tech and thought that I counted it right. I will take some pictures for the verification. For the crank pulley, I actually double check with the extension rod in cylinder#1. I am pretty sure on that one though.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK. I will need your help for the verification. Here are the pics:

I use this diagram as a reference for 1.8t engine.

These pics were taken when the cranks were set at the TDC. In my understanding, I counted for 16 links in between the cam windows. Still, need helps to verify if this is right.

Question: After I hand crank several times, when the camshaft comes back at the TDC, is it normal that the marked links (as shown in the pictures above) did not come back at the same place ? (but there are still 16 links in between). See pics below:

Old 05-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, more questions: There is only one TDC mark on the crank pulley. So, there is no difference between TDC in the compress stoke or exhaust stroke (for the crank pulley), correct?
(of course it will be different for the camshaft).
How does the crank position sensor work for 1.8t AUG or AWM engine? Can it differentiate crank position in 4 different cycles ? or It can only differentiate 2 cycles ?

The car will start only if the camshaft position sensor is unplugged. Still need help. Any idea? please.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry. I don't know how to edit the post. I still have another question:

Regarding to the bently manual: "Confirm that engine is set to TOC for cylinder #1 by
checking that timing mark on torque converter (arrow) lines up with edge of inspection hole on automatic transmission."

Where is the torque converter ? The pic below does not show where exactly to look for. Sorry, I'm a noob.

Quick Reply: Won't start with camshaft position sensor. Please HELP