A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

03 Window wiper switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Window wiper switch

I have an a4 Quattro 3.0 and there is a toggle switch on the end of my windshield wiper blades arm. I have the intermittent switch but on the very end there is another switch that can be clicked up and down....no idea what it does. Manual had nothing about. Any info appreciated.
Big UK fan
Old 06-23-2017, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pushing that switch up and down changes the info displayed on the screen in the center of the dash (the Driver Information System - DIS). There is also a switch on the bottom the arm that, when pushed in momentarily, toggles the DIS between the #1 readings (the ones that can't be manually reset), the #2 readings (the ones that can be manually reset), and a blank screen. While in the #2 readings, holding the switch on the bottom in for a couple of seconds will reset the reading being displayed. Only the readings that are averages can be reset. The readings that are averages have a symbol that is something like the Greek letter phi next to them (a circle with a line through it).

This is explained on page 135 of my manual.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you

I didn't look everywhere when pushing the button. I was tripping about this. Just got the car about 3 weeks ago and still learning. Just found out there was a ski/long items bags in the middle of the back seat. Can i ask do you think the upgrade plugs are worth it. The iridium plug? NGK BOSCH ETC
Old 06-24-2017, 12:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found the stock plugs are quite good. Iridiums should have longer life but I didn't notice much difference. I also tried various other plugs including platinum +2 and +4, lodge golden and the originals performed the best. You can put in a K&N air filter in there for better breathing. If you just got the car, I would change all the fluids if you are not positive they were changed recently or have verified service record. It's not hard to do and will help your car to last longer and run better. The stock fluids from Audi are very good, no need to change to anything else. Keep an eye on your coolant hoses, esp the ones on the oil cooler, those were borderline on my car and I changed them for safety. My car BTW is an 04 3.0 quattro 6sp.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you

K&N filter next. Thanks 4 all the info. Ill stick with thrme same plugs and change all fluids.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Mines 3.0 Quattro Automatic

Originally Posted by TheCJ
I found the stock plugs are quite good. Iridiums should have longer life but I didn't notice much difference. I also tried various other plugs including platinum +2 and +4, lodge golden and the originals performed the best. You can put in a K&N air filter in there for better breathing. If you just got the car, I would change all the fluids if you are not positive they were changed recently or have verified service record. It's not hard to do and will help your car to last longer and run better. The stock fluids from Audi are very good, no need to change to anything else. Keep an eye on your coolant hoses, esp the ones on the oil cooler, those were borderline on my car and I changed them for safety. My car BTW is an 04 3.0 quattro 6sp.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just thought I'd add a quick checklist for you of things I'd check or replace:
- oil cooler coolant hoses (available online)
- coolant (use the pentosin SF, Rock Auto has it)
- trans fluid (audi brand, costly but worth it)
- rear diff fluid if quattro (audi brand)
- brake fluid full flush (Pentosin or ATE fluid, your pick, Rock Auto has too)
- Pwr Str fluid (use mineral based only, flush instructions on forum, I used Pentosin I think, bottle had green cap, can buy on Ebay for good prices)
- oil (of course, I used 0-40 Mobil, WIX filter and did a flush with the Oreillys engine flush fluid)

Notes:
if you have manual trans, buy a good quality spare clutch set w bearings and keep it on hand, they grenade sometimes and it sucks to wait on shipping.

if you do your own brakes, remember the rear caliper pistons screw in, you can use a tool or an old thick needle nose pliers =)

if you DIY change the oil cooler hoses and they have those stupid evil spring clamps, the left top one is a pain, prepare to remove oil cooler and very carefully dremel off that top clip and use screw clamps... The entire job is more painful than it seems.

Rock Auto, forums, internet parts sites, Pick N Pull and your toolkit selection are your best friends