A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

1.8 timing belt install question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m very far from advanced. It took me about twice as long, over the course of 3 evenings after work. I didn’t fully understand how to install & adjust the new tensioner. Wound up with a 12mm gap. Had to remove it, recompress, and reinstall. Reinstalling the bumper was the most time conuming, frustrating part,

i have to do my wife’s car in thr fall. Should go much quicker next time.....
Old 08-18-2018, 08:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you use after market timing kit or original Audi parts? I need to do this soon and is wondering where to order my parts? I want the timing job to last, so not wanting to skip on parts..thanks for info in advance.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Same answer as another recent thread: I am not familiar with AudiUSA. I always go with ECSTuning and get genuine Audi parts. Be careful with anything that claims to be OEM. Some are not like Hamburg-Technic which claims to be OEM and I believe ECSTuning has pulled from their catalog. You do get what you pay for.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Same answer as another recent thread: I am not familiar with AudiUSA. I always go with ECSTuning and get genuine Audi parts. Be careful with anything that claims to be OEM. Some are not like Hamburg-Technic which claims to be OEM and I believe ECSTuning has pulled from their catalog. You do get what you pay for.
So ECS tuning has good parts? I just want to make sure I get the right stuff. I got one quot from ECS tuning where he said go with the gates racing timing belt, it's a little more , but suppose to be better belt, what do you think on that one? should I go with kit with the gates belt ot the kit with the other belt?
Old 08-20-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have done 2 of these on 2 different cars. The first one "got killed" before I got a lot of miles on it. My current one has 45K on it with no issues. I don't remember the brand of the belt, but I know I got the most expensive kit with only Audi parts. I went and looked and noticed the kit is almost $500 which at first blush seems high. I think I spent $375 when the next kit down was in the low 200's, but that was a little over 4 years ago, so my memory may be bad. Knowing that I will be replacing in 15 to 20K miles, I will buy the $500 kit and then not worry about it... Again, my philosophy as I have been bitten one too many times by inferior "OEM" parts...

I follow the same philosophy on my 34 year old Turbo Z...

Last edited by lyleswk; 08-20-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have done 2 of these on 2 different cars. The first one "got killed" before I got a lot of miles on it. My current one has 45K on it with no issues. I don't remember the brand of the belt, but I know I got the most expensive kit with only Audi parts. I went and looked and noticed the kit is almost $500 which at first blush seems high. I think I spent $375 when the next kit down was in the low 200's, but that was a little over 4 years ago, so my memory may be bad. Knowing that I will be replacing in 15 to 20K miles, I will buy the $500 kit and then not worry about it... Again, my philosophy as I have been bitten one too many times by inferior "OEM" parts...

I follow the same philosophy on my 34 year old Turbo Z...
Thanks for the info, I noticed the genuine Audi water pump has the composite impeller unless Audi up-graded it to the metal impeller. Like you, I want to use parts that are going to last. Right now the main thing I'm wondering is which water pump to get? ECS Tuning genuine Audi water pump is a re-manufactured one, so not wanting a re-manufactured unit. Are you still going to get your timing kit at ECS Tuning? or is there someone you trust more?
Old 08-21-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have gotten all my parts from ECS, including some for my 300K mile Mercedes and pair of BMWs (they do not have as much stock for those brands). I have never had an issue with parts failing from them.

As far as the impeller, I don't remember whether it was composite or metal, but whatever VAG have done to the design seems to be durable. My VAG indie that works on the car when I don't have time or don't want to tackle something feels the same. Again, go with your instinct. I am just one voice on a forum
Old 08-21-2018, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have gotten all my parts from ECS, including some for my 300K mile Mercedes and pair of BMWs (they do not have as much stock for those brands). I have never had an issue with parts failing from them.

As far as the impeller, I don't remember whether it was composite or metal, but whatever VAG have done to the design seems to be durable. My VAG indie that works on the car when I don't have time or don't want to tackle something feels the same. Again, go with your instinct. I am just one voice on a forum
I appreciate the info, I understand you are just one voice, but it helps when you hear from someone who has purchased from a company. gives a better piece of mind when buying parts.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry for the late reply. I used thd Continential kit from Rock Auto and the oem Auid pump from the dealership. Kit was on clearance for under $200. Next tome I’d go
aftermarket on the pump as well.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RAM56
Sorry for the late reply. I used thd Continential kit from Rock Auto and the oem Auid pump from the dealership. Kit was on clearance for under $200. Next tome I’d go
aftermarket on the pump as well.
NP, I went with with Blauparts. even though it wasn't low as what you got yours for, The timing kit was $287 with fluids,seals and water pump with metal impeller made by Graf, it's a complete timing belt kit,I also purchased the thermostat,air filter and complete oil change kit, final price out the door was $400.02 and it was here in 2 days.Blauparts customer service is out standing so far,plus I did a lot of research on them and before I purchased my parts. What I did like was Blauparts installs the same parts on their customers cars that they sell,to me that was a plus, plus so far i've talked to two different salesmen on the phone and really liked the conversation.I also private message a few members here that were very helpful with my research.