A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

2002 A4 3.0 quattro variable length intake manifold broken

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 A4 3.0 quattro variable length intake manifold broken

I was recently told that the variable length intake manifold in my 2002 Audi A4 3.0 quattro was not functioning. Not only are both of the vacuum actuator arms broken, but the entire cylinder assembly that runs through the intake manifold is apparently broken to pieces. I haven't noticed any difference in power output.

I've heard that Audi will only replace the entire intake manifold for about $1300. How critical is it to fix this? Is it worth it?

Also, I found this link which sells just the changeover mechanism with the vacuum arms and the cylinder that goes into the manifold assembly:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4..._30v/ES280290/

Is this a viable solution? Do you think a local shop would be able to clean out the broken fragments from the old manifold and replace it with this, or will I have to go to the dealer, replace the entire manifold and empty my wallet?
Old 10-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by levansula
Also, I found this link which sells just the changeover mechanism with the vacuum arms and the cylinder that goes into the manifold assembly:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4..._30v/ES280290/

Is this a viable solution? Do you think a local shop would be able to clean out the broken fragments from the old manifold and replace it with this, or will I have to go to the dealer, replace the entire manifold and empty my wallet?
That's the part you need. Local shop can do it, do yourself a favor and use a shop that specializes in Audi. I don't know why the dealer says they would only replace the entire manifold. Speak to someone in charge or the service department and ask why the recommend that. I bet most 3.0s are driving around with the vacuum actuator broken. Mine is
Old 10-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for getting back to me on this! I ended up devising a makeshift/temporary solution for this issue, here's my engine:

Paper clip fix for variable intake manifold drive unit/vacuum actuator on the 3.0 v6 engine.
I ended up drilling holes through the actuator arms, and using paper clips to attach them.
This seems to be working for the time being, the arms rotate over at 4200rpm like they're supposed to and everything. Hopefully it'll hold until I save up enough money for that part and get a more legit solution

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 10-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Apologies for the huge resolution - I won't be making that mistake again.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for posting pictures of your fix! Those are special OEM spec paperclips?
Old 11-10-2015, 05:20 AM
Former Vendor

We solved this years ago ... please dont stick paper clips on your beautiful Audi. Do this right, do this once. Lifetime warranty !

GruvenParts.com is happy to release these long awaited billet intake linkage arms for the Audi A4 and A6 with 3.0L V6 engines!

Audi 3.0L V6 Billet Intake Linkage Arms !

These billet linkage arms come two to a set – enough for 1 vehicle and will replace the plastic ones on the 2002-2006 A4 and 1999-2004 A6 with the 3.0L 30V V6 engine with rotary drive unit part number 06C-133-611 (06C133611) installed onto intake manifold part number 06C-133-201J (06C133201J).

Just like our popular Audi/VW 4.2L V8 linkage arms, these billet 3.0L V6 intake arms are Guaranteed for Life !

The OEM plastic linkage arms on these engines quickly fail due to heat and contaminants leaving your intake manifold stuck. This causes poor idle, poor drivability, loss of power, check engine lights, and poor fuel mileage. It’s a very common problem on the Audi 3.0L 30V V6 engine, an otherwise great engine. The dealer will only sell you a new actuator assembly for nearly $500 - A hefty price to pay for more weak plastic that will again break in short order.

Our Billet intake manifold arms are made from Aerospace grade 6061-T651 Aluminum with specially machined Dupont Delrin inserts to provide a perfect fit to the actuator *****.

Go with the billet GruvenParts.com linkages with the Lifetime Guarantee, save $400 over the inferior dealer plastic versions, and NEVER WORRY ABOUT THIS PROBLEM AGAIN.

This product fits the following vehicles:

2002-2006 Audi A4 including Quattro w/3.0L 30V V6 Engine
1999-2004 Audi A6 including Quattro w/3.0L 30V V6 Engine

Replaces plastic links on found OEM P/N 06C-133-611 (06C133611) drive unit w/rotary valve, which is installed onto 06C-133-201J (06C133201J) intake manifold.

Please note : You will need to disassemble your actuators to install these metal arms. Carefully pry the actuator apart (it is a snap fit). Remove the rubber bellow, and swap in our billet aluminum links. Carefully snap your actuator back together and reinstall on the manifold.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

where are you located I have for sale a intake with good condition linkages
Old 11-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Former Vendor

All the plastic arms will break, there is no sense in replacing with more plastic. Go billet !
Old 12-16-2015, 09:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zzaper
where are you located I have for sale a intake with good condition linkages
Thanks for the offer! I'm in Maryland. The thing is, the plastic part that connects the actuator mechanism to the rotary shaft that actually fits in manifold is broken. There is no longer any connection between the vacuum actuator and this shaft - the shaft can just rattle and turn freely in the manifold when driving. I've even tried locking it in place, but to no avail.The paper clips seem to work, but don't actually end up turning the mechanism. The gruvenparts metal arms wouldn't make any difference - I would need to get the whole unit with actuators and the rotary shaft. The part number of the whole assembly with shaft and actuators is 06C133611 - this is what I need. I'd be happy to buy if from you at a good price if the rotary shaft is included.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I Have the whole manifold but I can take it out. Problem is I live in Canada so shipping will be about $39 Canadian so with your good exchange rate you have it for $50 us. Let me know

Quick Reply: 2002 A4 3.0 quattro variable length intake manifold broken