AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b6-platform-discussion-34/)
-   -   A4 misfiring, shaking... fuel filter??HELP! (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b6-platform-discussion-34/a4-misfiring-shaking-fuel-filter-help-2751954/)

Audigrl27 05-17-2009 06:56 AM

A4 misfiring, shaking... fuel filter??HELP!

A couple of weeks ago my engine in my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T started shaking and check engine light flashing. Took it in code read for misfire in ignition coil for cylinder one, so I replaced it. I should have known due to how easy it was. Sure enough, yesterday it happened again, took it in again and now have codes: P0300, P0301, P0303, P0304 and I think P1296 (I remember it was for the CST)/ I replaced all coils, sparkplugs and CST..which the CST is a MAJOR pain but I managed. It's still shaking w/ a flashing check engine.. could it be the fuel filter and if so,,, how the heck do you change the fuel filter on this thing?
Thank you!!

Audigrl27 05-17-2009 06:57 AM

My apoligies, I meant the CTS - Coolant Temp Sensor.. thanks.

awdjunkies 05-17-2009 09:23 AM

Good Morning, If it is in fact your Fuel Filter, here is the DIY:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224783

If it's your fuel pump here is that DIY:

http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page...tml&category=5

Either way, good luck. I am sure there will be other members to let you know or help you diagnose the problem if it isnt either one of these items.

awdjunkies 05-17-2009 09:32 AM

Audigrll27, also after the new CP and the CTS replacement, did you clear the codes? sometimes It does take a few days for the ECU to clear itself and return to normal. Might want to clear the codes and give it a few days to adjust itself. :)

aharris 08-10-2009 05:18 AM

My car is doing the same thing -- shaking and "check engine" light flashing. The dealer tells me it's the coils (3 out of 4 are bad) and will cost $450 to replace. Does this cost estimate sound right? Am I getting ripped off?

corvettekiller18 08-10-2009 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by aharris (Post 23833223)
My car is doing the same thing -- shaking and "check engine" light flashing. The dealer tells me it's the coils (3 out of 4 are bad) and will cost $450 to replace. Does this cost estimate sound right? Am I getting ripped off?

YES, you are getting ripped off. Ignition coils should b about $30-40 each. at most thats 120$ for 3 of em, and it takes about a minute to swap each coil with a new one! Very easy job.

aharris 08-10-2009 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by corvettekiller18 (Post 23833233)
YES, you are getting ripped off. Ignition coils should b about $30-40 each. at most thats 120$ for 3 of em, and it takes about a minute to swap each coil with a new one! Very easy job.

Thanks for the quick response. The breakdown was $51.07 per coil (x4), $16.53 per plug (x4), and $160 labor.

I should've known better than to go to the dealer, but I was in a bind and my car was shaking and the check engine light was flashing, so I got nervous and went straight there.

jrv666 08-11-2009 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Audigrl27 (Post 23789326)
A couple of weeks ago my engine in my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T started shaking and check engine light flashing. Took it in code read for misfire in ignition coil for cylinder one, so I replaced it. I should have known due to how easy it was. Sure enough, yesterday it happened again, took it in again and now have codes: P0300, P0301, P0303, P0304 and I think P1296 (I remember it was for the CST)/ I replaced all coils, sparkplugs and CST..which the CST is a MAJOR pain but I managed. It's still shaking w/ a flashing check engine.. could it be the fuel filter and if so,,, how the heck do you change the fuel filter on this thing?
Thank you!!

I dont mean to worry you but this is something you might want to look at. I have a 3.0 and have suffered with misfires in the past. They have been sorted now but i was really stuck recently trying to figure why all of 1 bank was not running and the car felt like a dog. it turned out that as a result of the previous misfire my cat had got damaged, breaking down and blocking the exhaust gases- increasing back-pressure so much the whole of that side would not fire. If your cat has been damaged the effects you describe could due to that. as you only have 1 bank / 4 cyl then the whole engine will misfire / bog down and not run well if it is blocked. People say either vac, ign or fuel cause misfires but despite popular belief they can be a S#@T to diagnose (i know from experience) - and the cat is the last thing i thought.

TorontoAvant 08-13-2009 07:24 AM

A4 Misfire

I have 03 Avant with less than 50 KM..Currently on 3rd set of coils. 2 sets were replaced under warrenty.
Always ask for the old good coils back if dealer replaces all 4
I keep a few in the trunk and have had to do roadside hotswap a couple of times.
I also notices that coil # 4 (closest to rear of engine) the coil wire harness was chafing against the cyl head and was shorting when engine got really hot (sitting in traffic)All you need is a flathead screwdriver to remove plastic engine cover
Wrap a bunch of electrical tape around wires where they are near cyl head.

PDX04a4 08-13-2009 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by aharris (Post 23833249)
Thanks for the quick response. The breakdown was $51.07 per coil (x4), $16.53 per plug (x4), and $160 labor.

I should've known better than to go to the dealer, but I was in a bind and my car was shaking and the check engine light was flashing, so I got nervous and went straight there.

HAHAH, tell them to shove it. 460 dollars to replace 4 coil packs? jesus thats ridiculous. hell, 200 dollars for the coil packs is insane. kindly tell them to stick it up their ass, buy 4 coil packs off ecs or genuinevwaudiparts for 30 bucks each, take 5 minutes and replace them yourself.