A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

A4 transmission problem

Old 10-01-2009, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 transmission problem

Hi,
I drive a 2005.5 Audi a4 2.0t Quattro with the 6-speed tiptronic transmission. For the last few months when I slow to a stop, when the transmission shifts from 3rd to 2nd, it clunks and jerks into gear like its having trouble. The problem happens less in sport mode but is becoming more noticeable. I have read in forums that there might be a software update or a reflash that could solve this issue. If anyone knows ANYTHING about this please help me. The problem happened while my car was under warranty, and the dealership played dumb until the warranty expired now they want me to pay for a new transmission (quoted $8,000). So if you know anything about this update (if it exists or not) or the name of it, or a dealership that knows of it that I could contact, anything helps, thanks!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is an update(this should be in the B7 area, but oh well). Techs would usually call this the "ZF Blue fluid update". Its essentially a trans drain and fill with a different trans fluid(blue in color, hence blue fluid update name) and a TCM reflash to accomodate the different fluid. It is not going to require a new trans unless they have found other problems determining the gearbox has failed. If you need any fluid, let me know through an email or something(this stuff is QUITE expensive through the dealership). My email addy is jiffy94@hotmail.com
Old 10-05-2009, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply! I just got off the phone with my dealership, and basically all they said was "we're not going to go off of anything off the internet, can't be trusted, blah blah blah" EVEN THOUGH, last week they TOLD me to look online for a solution because the Tech Rep above the Audi Service Manager couldn't find a solution.

Apparently, someone came in either this morning or over the weekend sometime though, with the same problem, and they are going to try basically the exact same thing you told me on this car. I will hopefully hear back from them today sometime.

Do you have any advice with how unhelpful this dealership is being? What's more, I tried getting this fixed under warranty, and they told me that "..these transmissions are bulletproofk, its not the transmission.." and of course I will listen to the Audi Service Manager, and when I finally did get a chance to take it in, the warranty was JUST expired, and they tell me I most likely need a new tranmission.

Thanks again,

Lloyd Hanneman
Old 10-05-2009, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I suggest you call AOA - and get them involved - If the records show they ignored the issue under warranty you have a strong case.

your other option is to take them to small claims court.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To be honest, these transmissions are def bullet proof, they just had some issues with the earlier cars. Sounds like your dealership is much more of a pain than they need to be. I'll see what I can find out for you at work tomorrow. Shoot me an email to remind me if I havent gotten back to you by 4ish mountain time. There was once a tech bulletin on this issue when the B7's came out and for a good couple years after the launch. Like I said, shoot me an email tomorrow(thursday) and I'll do some hunting around in the toolbox for you.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks! And, apparently your "Blue Fluid Update" worked for another car so I made an appointment for Friday. Hopefully it works out, they changed my fluid 2 weeks ago so I think they are planning on just doing the update Friday.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quick igorant question here, just for my confirmation... Will the "ZF Blue fluid update" with TCM re-flash work for the B6 model as well, as I noticed Jiffy94 mentioned B7 (I have a 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro with 5-speed Tiptronic)? I am experiencing the same slight yet noticable jerk when slowing to a stop and the auto-transmission gears down from 2nd to 1st, but only occasionally (I'll have to note the variables; i.e., slowing after a hoghway drive, hot weather cold weather, short drives, etc.). And this can only be re-flashed at the Dealership, correct? Thank in advance! - Joe
Old 10-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have not heard of the blue fluid update solving any 5 speed trans issues, nor would i believe that it apllies to it. Sorry Audidriver!
Old 10-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Jiffy94. I'll continue to look into this for my 2002 A4 1.8T Automatic.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Jiffy94 - Thanks! I took my car in Friday morning and it shifts like butter now. Now my tach needle kind of jumps around (only slightly) when I am going a constant speed (Ex. 35-40 mph, or cruise control). I dont know if I would call it a "sputter" but you can definitely feel the engine rev irratically in these situations. Any thoughts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A4 transmission problem