A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

AC not working (04)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC not working (04)

I have an 04 and the ac hasn't worked for a while but I survived. I can't keep it up so took the car in and stumped the mechanics. Plan was to fill it with cold stuff, put in a dye and see where the leak was, even if it meant I got a week or so of nice cool air. Nope it will not take a charge to even perform any diagnostics. This was a first. (Mechanics are Audi trained as I don't take this car to just anyone.)

Next was to look at the compressor and the number doesn't match anything it could be a $300 version or $900 version. (I know, it'll be the $900.) A lot of the car's issues are similar to the 03's so maybe this is as well. And if replacing pump/compressor doesn't solve the problem then it's looking under the dashboard which while the mechanics don't think it'll go that far with this car.... it could.

Has anyone else had an ac that won't even take a charge? I've got to decide if it's worth spending a small fortune or cutting loses. That is literally the only thing wrong.

Appreciate any suggestions as everyone is stumped which just costs me more money.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The cars here in europe have a bolt on the AC pulley that keeps a plate pushed against the pulley which makes the compressor shaft turn. Are you sure that the compressor turns and the plate is in place? The bolt is notorious for falling off.

Here are some pictures of my plate that I managed to pull out of the undertray covers in a shopping mall parking lot recently.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...jX5wxtZ0SkeccQ
Old 06-10-2019, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sounds like the reason it wont take a charge is they can not get the compressor clutch to kick on. The switch /valve inside the compressor can be active with jumper wire. If not.you can remove and replace with a new compressor switch that fits in to the housing. Which will active the clutch to start the charging process. Have seen them on amazon for the vw's for about $70 dollars.
good luck
Old 07-25-2019, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here is my experience with this issue. I'm stuck in ECON mode and nothing but warm air blows out. I recharge it and nothing. I then looked under my car and there is a small pin sized hole in my one of the A/C high pressure lines. Something even my mechanic missed since its covered. I've must of bottomed out on a speed bump or something. Tried taping it up with flex seal tape as a temporary fix but way too much pressure. Found a used line online, replaced it and now I have A/C again.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Question to the OP: Is there any pressure remaining within the system? If not, a large leak exists which must be corrected first. Also, did the mechanic use an Audi-compatible scan tool to check for fault codes in the HVAC system?

I'm taking my 3.0 in today for AC work; in my case the compressor is broken. The swash-plate type compressor is driven through rubber couplings which are supposed to shear off if the compressor locks, which keeps the pulley from locking and throwing the serpentine belt. The AC quit last year, and I could see the drive plate of the compressor was completely gone, so figured that it had unscrewed somehow. Last week with the front end in service position, I was able to see that it had actually broken off at the Aluminum drive hub, and when I tried to rotate the compressor shaft, it would go halfway around then make a clunk inside.