A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

After head gasket job.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After head gasket job.

I recently was given an 04 Audi A4 Quattro. The last owner of the car did not take his car at all. With the prospect of a new job and having to drive like 45 miles to and from every day I took the car so I could relieve the pressure on the car that I'm paying for.
When they gave me to car they stated it had A blown head gasket. I took the car apart replace the head gasket I know this might of been a dumb idea but I didn't even take it to a machine shop. I put the car back together I must've done something right because the car started. When it started and had this clicking sound at first I thought it was the valves because they had this white cook on them I took it as they were burning off. After further investigation I found that my brother who was helping me have forgotten to tight in the timing belt idler pulley and the screw and the backing plate had fell off. At this point I said why not just replace the timing belt water pump tensioner so that I would have the peace of mind that they were all new.
I would have believed that a car with 155,000 miles on it they would have at least changed something. The car still had its original timing belt water pump and tensioner. So I changed all of them. I followed the instructions to line up the crankshaft pulley and the camshaft with the lines but because the timing was already off I placed the car in TDC. after replacing everything and putting everything back together I attempted to start the car "Eureka" I thought the car started but ran weird. I check the cold and I got the camshaft position sensor error. Plus the car still overheats.

My problems:

The car seems like it wants to start but it does not it starts for a couple seconds and then it shuts off.
I ordered a new thermostat put it in of course the car still overheats because I haven't put the red coolant in the car with the cost to overheat with the green just until I can clean the engine out?
After cleaning the mass airflow sensor the car now idols OK when it happens to start and stay running.
I replace the ECM power relay because it said it was faulty
If the timing is correct with the crankshaft could that cause the camshaft position sensor to shoot an error if the timing is off just a bit with the camshaft.
Right now the only thing that is mind-boggling is that the car won't start and stay started I have no experience with Audis and since I didn't pay for the car I was trying to do it myself I'm more comfortable with Acura

I just don't know what to do I need serious help I don't mind doing the work this is my first Audi
Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd start by checking the compression, often those compression testers are loaned by auto parts stores. Beyond that, many things can cause the car to run bad. You mentioned a cam position error code. What other codes, if any? Air leaks from cracked rubber ducts, hoses, or check valves can all lead to running problems. So can wiring connections that are bad, or a stuck purge valve, and so forth. Maybe the cylinder head was damaged too.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I cleaned a mass air flow Sensor and the idle is now steady. After changing the thermostat the car still overheats but it takes a little time for that to happen. I suspect that the head is damaged. But power is something I do not have. I press the Accelerator and it feels like it wants to shut off if I apply a lot of pressure. Although if I press it slightly it won't lose power but it won't provide it either