A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

All exterior lighting out...desperately need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All exterior lighting out...desperately need help!

Hello Audi world,
Here is the challenge, 2005 A4 1.8t. Headlights, brake lights, turn signals and horn are all out. Wipers will not turn off, had to disconnect. I have replaced ignition switch, headlight switch, comfort control module, relays, fuses. I've taken it to an Audi repair shop. (Not dealership) and was told parts would cost $2,600 not including labor...WOW! Power supply unit was fried, this I've seen. Was advised by the techs that I would need to replace the power supply unit #8e0907279f, (which I have done). Also advised to replace wire harness to module and relay plate #8e0937503 which I have not done yet. I'm about to order these parts but am getting nervous about attacking the wire harness, it looks very difficult but I'm not sure. Has anyone dealt with this issue before, is there something I am missing or overlooked. Does the power supply unit need to be programmed? Symptoms are the same with or without the power supply unit connected. Should I replace the relay plate prior to replacing wire harness? I love this car and will not give but damn I'm getting frustrated!! Any and all input is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 03-25-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First I would grab a VAGcom and see what electrical fault codes.
After checking the faults, write them down, clear them, and see what comes back.
Just guessing, but if you replaced the body control module, this sounds like a bad wire to the module.
Check the contacts for corrosion, loss of continuity, or broken wires.

You didn't say if the module was new or from a scrapped car.

Doubt it is the relay plate.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by david9999
First I would grab a VAGcom and see what electrical fault codes.
After checking the faults, write them down, clear them, and see what comes back.
Just guessing, but if you replaced the body control module, this sounds like a bad wire to the module.
Check the contacts for corrosion, loss of continuity, or broken wires.

You didn't say if the module was new or from a scrapped car.

Doubt it is the relay plate.
Thanks for reply David9999, apologies on my delay...had to a pause on repairs for a moment, back to it!

As for the Vag codes, I currently do not own one yet sorry (Audi rookie). Power supply unit 8e0907279f is a salvage part. Comfort control and all else are new, spent too much already. I just today purchased the wire harness for the power supply unit. I'm thinking like you said its probably down to wire.

Thanks again.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Suspect wiring/connectors

Replacement wires just received

The old power supply unit diagnosed by Audi techs

Backside power module
Old 04-20-2018, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update

I Attached pics, this is what it looks like. I'm currently at a point, where before I tackle replacing wire harness connectors. The overdue purchase of the vag reader is next. Does anyone have an idea maybe of something I've missed, need to know or overlooked??? ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Old 04-23-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

No, but I would love to hear where this goes. My "dipped" (aka dim) headlights don't work and my right turn signal is intermittent due to the bulb in the headlight assembly. Everything else is works. I assume that is the board in the electronic unit next to the fuses? I've seen it called the CEM and CECM and recognize the connectors. I have done about everything I can think of electrically and am down to its in the wiring (which i see no evidence of and doubt since it is intermittent) and the CEM. Why did you cut up the harnesses? They don't look burned, but you only one shot of what mey be the old ones...

Last edited by lyleswk; 04-23-2018 at 06:58 AM.