A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Another soft top issue

Old 02-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another soft top issue

Being in winter here in Quebec, Canada we do not open our soft top from mid-october to mid-may so my car being in my garage for a while i decided to open the soft top just for making working the soft top parts. Surprise top didn't open, ok yeah its the trunk lid that is up and in fact it was, downing the lid and have another try with .... the same result. Now you're having a very decourageous man here, what can it be ? It was working well this last autumn, only think that i made this winter is spaying some deicer in my door key slot, do you think it can be that knowing that we can open the top with the key ?
Each answer would be appreciated
Thanks
Old 02-12-2015, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The top latch motor and linkage are very common issues on these, they seize up and since its the first task for the top, that could be a possibility since you have no action happening. But have it scanned and checked out first before buying anything

Last edited by Prospeeder; 02-12-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Finaly try a reset by opening the top all the way down and up manualy like the clue i found on youtube. God, let me tell you that those top are very heavy, anyway top still not working. I decided to make another try with my key the next day and it work... UREKA.
Now prospeeder, i found your topic very interesting and i wonder if there could be any maintenance to do to avoid those situation ?
Thanks
Old 02-21-2015, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im not really sure, they seem to have some sort of poorly designed bushings for all the pivot points, and ones i have replaced are just locked up solid. The replacement from the dealer is all one piece motor and linkage,
Old 04-02-2015, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Story is following again, soft top didn't open yesterday morning. Taken the special tool again and again (remind me of Forest Gump, going to see the president again and again LOL) but this time didn't do the all reset sequence, i just unlock the first step (near windshield top) and give it a try, top open all way down. Try to close it, no answer, just unlock the rear panel, top close all the way up, give another try to open it, again no answer, unlock the front lock as previously , top start to open but stop half way. Woah this is a very PINA, so i decided to stop all trying for that day and hook up my battery charger to raise up voltage thinking that it must be low after all those top operations. I give it a try this morning with the battery charger still charging and the soft top open as a new one, try a closing step everything just work fine. Now the question is ; can low voltage causes all those issues ?
Best regards
Old 04-09-2015, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

After several test i can confirm now that my issue was a low voltage problem. Voltage under 12.0 volts send "Sotf top control not operating" on the dash board, and above that 12.0 volts let say 12.1 to 12.5 V it may operated but can stop at any places on the opening or closing sequences. I replaced the battery and everything just fine now.
Regards
Old 04-21-2018, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low voltage can cause top malfunction

I’m bumping this thread as a reminder if you have an intermittent problem with the convertible top after performing the manual reset video below...to check the battery voltage under load when powering convertible top afterwards!