AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b6-platform-discussion-34/)
-   -   APR stage 1+ by itself, NO DMIC or exhaust (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b6-platform-discussion-34/apr-stage-1-itself-no-dmic-exhaust-2746935/)

onlyaudis 04-05-2009 07:12 AM

APR stage 1+ by itself, NO DMIC or exhaust

I was going to have my car chipped in the next few weeks. i was planning on either APR or Revo stage 1. I just saw a great deal on TT 225 injectors, and thought maybe stage 1+ might make more sense. But then I read more about that route, and it seems many recommend an exhaust and inter cooler upgrade with that set up, which pushes the cost and work involved way up.

Anyone here run stage 1+ with just the injectors for a long amount of time that could give me hands on feedback would be most welcome. Also, I have a triptronic car, so any issues with that would be appreciated. Read somewhere about bypassing some valve?

Cincinnaudi04 04-05-2009 08:52 AM

I had my Tip car with just the APR 1+ for a while and it was fine. Although, I would recommend you upgrade your diverter valve to at least the Bosch 710n, or the Forge 007. Also, if your coil packs are not already the R version I would think about upgrading them or you might have to soon after the chip tune anyways. Its better to replace them now than to be stuck out on the road with a misfiring car. Those are the things I would upgrade at the same time as the chip tune. After that I would upgrade the turbo inlet pipe sometime.

onlyaudis 04-05-2009 09:58 AM

I already have the upgraded DV and coil packs ready to go on the day I do the software. My concern is do I really need the performance exhaust and an upgraded intercooler to go this route successfully long term?

Dr Brian 04-05-2009 10:35 AM

stage 1+...

I have run this mode for 1 year. I will say thata test pipe will be the greatest thing for us with this setup. You can keep the stock exhaust and the testpipe will give us another 40+ lbs of torque to the wheels. A TP is less than $200 with gaskets and is the next biggest bang for the buck for us with tiptronic's. We really need to control heat and at least upgrade the smic to a Apikol for around $500. That will max you upgrades while minimizing spending. I'm right there with you in wanting to max what I have before spending gobs of dough. We need to control heat and IAT's!

onlyaudis 04-05-2009 11:46 AM

By test pipe, you mean something that replaces the Cat? If so, that is not a good idea here in California. So I guess the intercooler is needed because the boosts level go from what, 15 to 20+ between stage 1 and 1+? More boost way more heat. Probably be OK on cool SF Bay Area days, but not so great on a trip to the mountains through the valley when its 100 degrees outside.

The more I hear the real details, i think i will have to be happy with 205-210 HP and 230-240 Torque that stage 1 offers.

Cincinnaudi04 04-05-2009 02:11 PM

IMHO Stage 1 is a complete waste of money. I ran Stage 1+ only for a year and had no problems. The only reason I have an FMIC now is because I'm going to upgrade the turbo.

Alpha_Acid 04-05-2009 03:53 PM

Where did you see the deal on TT injectors?

Dr Brian 04-05-2009 05:36 PM

stage 1+...

yeah the test pipe is super awesome if you have the 1+. I live in Cali too so a "hook up" for smog is needed. If your gonna do it do it right by upgrading to the 1+, the injectors make a huge difference vs. stage 1 alone. Don't short change yourself on it. As long as we can keep the heat down your good. I would also suggest upgrading for $300 your inlet pipe hose and your throttle body hose to APR's! If you want to watch your throttle body hose loose boost by blowing up like a balloon have someone rev your engine while you watch that hose inflate like its gonna blow. Your loosing efficiency by not putting on silicone hoses. Also, silicone does not transfer heat like a rubber hose thus keeping inlet temps down. Just did both hoses and it changes everything all over again for the better. Max what you allready have by being smart in learning how a turbo works and how octane changes everything, almost need a minor in chemistry....

onlyaudis 04-05-2009 07:25 PM

I thought about getting the APR hoses, so I guess maybe I should order those as well. So much for the $499 + install labor chip upgrade! Be lucky to get out under $2000 by the time you get all the right pieces even if you are doing it on the cheap. The car performance aftermarket is like a drug dealer.

How do you do a "hook up" for smog on the test pipe? Is there a link with more info on the test pipe set up?

onlyaudis 04-05-2009 07:27 PM

Never mind, I found the info on the test pipe. I can't go that route.