A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi 3.0L V6 timing belt service DIY (BWW)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimBD
Sorry to hear you'll have to redo work! If we are talking about the same engine (dual cams on each side), I found that I did have to position the two cam tools (the c-clamp looking devices), then unscrew the threaded rod on each to push the two sides of the tool away from each other, then rock the cams back and forth a little and repeat until the tools were snug against the cams. Then when following the instructions in sequence that came with the cam tools, it looked like the timing belt would be 1/2 tooth off on the cam gears on the driver's side. I had tried not to loosen the nuts on each cam pulley, thinking I could just put the belt on, but I finally removed the c-clips and caps on the pulleys, loosened them, and let the belt find its own happy spot, then torqued the pulleys back down. My only guess is that you may be one tooth off - but I've only done this particular job once, so I could easily be mistaken.

What cam tool did you use?
yes it's the 3.0 engine dual cams.. the slot on the tool just didn't fit over the camshaft the way i believebelieve it should have but they held them in place petty good..
This is the tool I used i probably should've got a better one but figured I would only use it once.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Eduardo Avila
yes it's the 3.0 engine dual cams.. the slot on the tool just didn't fit over the camshaft the way i believebelieve it should have but they held them in place petty good..
This is the tool I used i probably should've got a better one but figured I would only use it once.
That's the same tool I used ... you're right .. it's a little cheap, but it worked for me. Did you end up loosening the pulleys on the front of the cams? I didn't understand the instructions that came with that kit at first, but I worked my way through it and did just what it said, working the belt from the left side to the right side. In the end, I couldn't get everything to line up without loosening the cam pulleys. Sorry, I don't have any more clues that that.

I wonder if there is enough information out there to figure out if you can check the timing marks on the cams and crank by just taking the timing belt cover off, and not tearing the whole front end apart again? Be a shame to tear it all down and find out you have just a bad spark plug or something.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TimBD
That's the same tool I used ... you're right .. it's a little cheap, but it worked for me. Did you end up loosening the pulleys on the front of the cams? I didn't understand the instructions that came with that kit at first, but I worked my way through it and did just what it said, working the belt from the left side to the right side. In the end, I couldn't get everything to line up without loosening the cam pulleys. Sorry, I don't have any more clues that that.

I wonder if there is enough information out there to figure out if you can check the timing marks on the cams and crank by just taking the timing belt cover off, and not tearing the whole front end apart again? Be a shame to tear it all down and find out you have just a bad spark plug or something.
yeah I thought about just pulling my valve covers of setting my crank up to the mark and using the cam tools to check and see if they all line up right I never loosened the cam pulley just somehow managed to get the belt back on. I think that maybe I can just set everything up and maybe adjust the pulleys without having to tear everything back down again. I didn't get instructions with my tool kit I used some on this forum just skipped the cam pulley part. I thought maybe I could do without..