A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi A4 2003 Frontrak B6 CVT Multitronic Oil/Fluid change/flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
i dont think basing an entire line of cars or company's reliability or durability off one somewhat uncommon transmission on a 2wd Audi (yuk) Is very fair. Name ONE car company with a reliable CVT transmission. There isnt one. And Most of the issues after the updated transmissions are installed is from absolutely no maintenance on the part of the owners. Did you service it every 30k? I doubt it.
Hmm -well Audi choose what gearbox to put in their cars to sell and its a dud. Why not put a common GMH Auto in it or another of the multitude of choices . Some I have had and seen with 5 speed go to 450,000 kms on just two oil changes in their life . These things start failing at40,000kms-10% ! My car appears to have had regular dealer services every 20,000kms.

Last edited by tytower; 07-28-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here is a pic I found of the CVT transmission which seems hard to find in these forums
Attached Images    
Old 07-24-2014, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Now next question . Does anyone know if there is a flushing oil for Auto tranmissions? Something thin like kerosene or diesel. What I wonder would be the long term effect of putting kero in it and running it on a stand for 5 minutes then draining and refilling with new hydraulic fluid.
I think it may be worth a try to flush out the changing mechanism and its O-rings and kero only damages normal rubber not silicon O-rings and then only when left on or submerged in kero.
Maybe worth a try if complete gearbox failure is imminent and apparently unavoidable as seems the case reading all the problem posts.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here is a good video of its operation
Right click on the second picture down and play video
multitronic® > Technologien > Audi Deutschland

Last edited by tytower; 10-13-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tytower
Hmm -well Audi choose what gearbox to put in their cars to sell and its a dud. Why not put a common GMH Auto in it or another of the multitude of choices . Some I have had and seen go to 450,000 kms on just two oil changes in their life . These things start failing at40,000kms-10% ! My car appears to have had regular dealer services every 20,000kms so shove it.
....20,000 kms on engine oil changes maybe. But its 30k miles on CVT unit fluid changes, which is what like 50 something thousand kilometers. Just because the dealer serviced the car regularly means nothing to the transmission. Those lube guys there probably think every transmission is lifetime fluid so why would they ever recommend it. CVTs are uncommon and few people know anything about them. I see probably 20-30 Quattros to one 2wd CVT car.

And if you have to ask why this transmission. Technology, advancement, going the next step forward in engineering. If they stuck with a 2 speed powerglide in every car still today because it was easy where would we be lol. Soon they will get it right but they cant infinitely spend money on trying to develop it to be perfect if they never know how its truly going to work in the real world. Sorry you bought a Front drive Audi lol, Get a quattrro next time.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 07-24-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Now next question . Does anyone know if there is a flushing oil for Auto tranmissions? Something thin like kerosene or diesel. What I wonder would be the long term effect of putting kero in it and running it on a stand for 5 minutes then draining and refilling with new hydraulic fluid.
I think it may be worth a try to flush out the changing mechanism and its O-rings and kero only damages normal rubber not silicon O-rings and then only when left on or submerged in kero.
Maybe worth a try if complete gearbox failure is imminent and apparently unavoidable as seems the case reading all the problem posts.
OK you seem to be sitting on point
How much do you know about this question then please and I do read what you say with interest although I would not put my name to shame with such a product and in the States they settled a class action if failure occurs withing 10 years or 100,000 miles.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Funny how these forum sitters want to post criticisms but asked a direct question they go to ground . Just too predictable .

Now I was able to get the self same pump as in this thread at Supercheap and it was the cheapest there . $20 I have got some synthetic fluid for $70 for 8 litres , the correct allen key but I am still looking for the 3 square drain plug tool /star drive.

I'm thinking I might use diesel to flush it as its an oil and because of the design of the box some of what I use will stay in the final fluid no matter what I do. I don't see anything else being able to get the gunk out of the valve mechanism which is obviously the cause of all this .

The slight slippage / jerk I feel from time to time is only in 6th gear and sometimes 5th on acceleration so I'm putting that down to clutch slippage and I'm guessing thats why they replace the clutch with a 7 plate when they rebuild the transmission. Nothing much I can do about that at this stage and changing the fluid won't help that. I'll get into the habit of once I'm up to 5th or 6th I'll manually change back to accelerate to relieve pressure on the clutch. Should be able to keep that going for 100K kms further that way.

I'll change the clutch pack when the transmission has to come out for a valve clean and O ring replacement. Found a piece of concrete with a rise on it so I will back up on it and roll down onto some stands at the front . Should get it fairly level that way and I can jack the body slightly either way to get it dead right. When all set I'll go warm it all up and drop the drain plug.

BTW there is no inline filter on the 2.4V6 that I have seen and no pan to drop for filter service so I guess its all internal in the transmission box - Not good
Old 07-26-2014, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the triple square on ebay,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Point-Triple-square-xzn-Tamper-Proof-Wrench-Stubby-16mm-2039-/390805856536?pt=US_Hand_Tools&hash=item5afdd82118 , ten bucks. Others on Amazon. Dont flush with Diesel!! Change the fluid, about 5l of the 8 will come out. If you have to, do this twice, an extra 5L, $45 worth of fluid against ruining a $4000 tranny. Its unlikely that any valves are blocked, CVT does'nt have a filter change at the 60,000 Km fluid change interval, very different to a normal automatic, and less opportunity for metal gunk to accumulate. New fluid should restore the quality of 'grip'of the clutch. If it does'nt, there are additives, friction modifiers, but I no nothing of the effects of these.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a good video of its operation

multitronic® > Technologien > Audi Deutschland
Also, if your fluid only cost $9 a litre, it sounds too cheap to be approved CTV fluid. The wrong fluid will wreck your CTV. Ordinary ATF fluid will not do. It has to meet VW/Audi spec VW/AUDI G052180A1. This has to be listed on the bottle. Google VW/AUDI G052180A1 and find suitable fluids. heres a typical european brand
RAVENOL CVT Fluid - Ravenol
Old 07-27-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deezell
Also, if your fluid only cost $9 a litre, it sounds too cheap to be approved CTV fluid. The wrong fluid will wreck your CTV. Ordinary ATF fluid will not do. It has to meet VW/Audi spec VW/AUDI G052180A1. This has to be listed on the bottle. Google VW/AUDI G052180A1 and find suitable fluids. heres a typical european brand
RAVENOL CVT Fluid - Ravenol
This guys talking about wanting to put diesel or kerosene in the thing. He asking to just destroy it. Who cares. And yes you can get 9$ a quart CVT fluid. Febi makes it. And nothing is special about the audi spec. All CVT transmissions on the market right now use the same fluid.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 07-27-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Audi A4 2003 Frontrak B6 CVT Multitronic Oil/Fluid change/flush