A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi A4 2003 Frontrak B6 CVT Multitronic Oil/Fluid change/flush

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys kindly assist me.im in Botswana and have a A4 2003 model.machanic claims that the gear box control unit is not working and have to buy a new one.the unit drives well but at times the when starting the vehicle the PRND will flash and the car wont drive and at times the car drives the PRND will be highlited yet the vehicle will drive well.is there a way i can repair my control unit/i had about flashing the sofware and installing the new one so it this possible kindly help
Old 02-16-2015, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maboloka
guys kindly assist me.im in Botswana and have a A4 2003 model.machanic claims that the gear box control unit is not working and have to buy a new one.the unit drives well but at times the when starting the vehicle the PRND will flash and the car wont drive and at times the car drives the PRND will be highlited yet the vehicle will drive well.is there a way i can repair my control unit/i had about flashing the sofware and installing the new one so it this possible kindly help
Before you do anything, have the fluid changed. If the old fluid is very dark, with a strong odour, do a second change of fluid to help flush all the old stuff out. Clear the errors and see if the fault returns . Perhaps have the control unit removed and carefully cleaned. After that if the fault persists you will need a refurbished unit.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just want to thank 303e30 for his great tutorial. I just changed the CVT fluid to my A6 and this info helped me alot. Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sheez'. Lots of good information here. Thank you to everyone on this thread, because this FNG appreciates it, thus far.

I'm two days into the final repair on a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T. Not even going to mention the TCM hunt on previous days, involving cowl disassembly, or seat removal. Trying to find correct information on these cars online .... is difficult. I'm assuming because few DIY'rs tackle these projects, or more so .... fail to ultimately share their successes or failures in an online format. Again, kudos to those here, that got me this far.

So the TCM has been removed and sent off for repair. Greatness. What a pain in the a#s that was. These German engineers are surely fantastic at squeezing maximum parts into the smallest of spaces, huh ?

I've got the appropriate Bentley Publishing Audi Service Repair Manual in hand. Diagrams are okay on TCM related disassembly. BUT ....

There is NO pertinent information regarding the removal and replacement of the INNER filter assembly. It's supposed to be behind the valve body ??

Probably will be proudly traveling to the Audi dealership for yet another diagram that notes the location, and hopefully hints as to the seal whereabouts that also need replaced ?? I found a thread discussing the 6? seals that the individual replaced with his inner transmission filter replacement while tackling the TCM remove and replace.

Fondly found a great transmission service repair manual that does show a full procedure required to overhaul these CVT transmissions .... but dang' ..... $$$$$ (!!!).

Anyone here replace the INNER transmission filter on these transmissions while into the TCM repair ? The valve body removal procedure is what I'm specifically looking for. Appears to be a clam style sandwiched mechanism, and I'm guessing the filter is in between.

PbbbbbBbbbtttttt ! These cars !!!!
Old 02-05-2018, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KidCampbell71
Sheez'. Lots of good information here. Thank you to everyone on this thread, because this FNG appreciates it, thus far.

I'm two days into the final repair on a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T. Not even going to mention the TCM hunt on previous days, involving cowl disassembly, or seat removal. Trying to find correct information on these cars online .... is difficult. I'm assuming because few DIY'rs tackle these projects, or more so .... fail to ultimately share their successes or failures in an online format. Again, kudos to those here, that got me this far.

So the TCM has been removed and sent off for repair. Greatness. What a pain in the a#s that was. These German engineers are surely fantastic at squeezing maximum parts into the smallest of spaces, huh ?

I've got the appropriate Bentley Publishing Audi Service Repair Manual in hand. Diagrams are okay on TCM related disassembly. BUT ....

There is NO pertinent information regarding the removal and replacement of the INNER filter assembly. It's supposed to be behind the valve body ??

Probably will be proudly traveling to the Audi dealership for yet another diagram that notes the location, and hopefully hints as to the seal whereabouts that also need replaced ?? I found a thread discussing the 6? seals that the individual replaced with his inner transmission filter replacement while tackling the TCM remove and replace.

Fondly found a great transmission service repair manual that does show a full procedure required to overhaul these CVT transmissions .... but dang' ..... $$$$$ (!!!).

Anyone here replace the INNER transmission filter on these transmissions while into the TCM repair ? The valve body removal procedure is what I'm specifically looking for. Appears to be a clam style sandwiched mechanism, and I'm guessing the filter is in between.

PbbbbbBbbbtttttt ! These cars !!!!
Great to see this thread active again after 3 years. I'm still horseing around in my A6, I should upgrade I know but its such a sweet drive, 240,000 Km on. This post a timely reminder that it's 60,000 Km since I changed the fluid, exactly the service interval. I don't bust the box anyway, so its probably fine, so I might change it it or sell it the car on, and push the boat out for something newer. Meantime, in response to your post, I wouldn't get het up about filters, especially if they are a lifetime part. I'm guessing that they only need attention if you roasted the box, burnt up the fluid etc. If the box needs repair then the filter would be part of the process. If your'e just changing the fluid and getting the TCM repaired then I'd assume the filter was fine. If the old fluid came out looking really bad and full of gunk, then maybe your box needs attention.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by deezell
Great to see this thread active again after 3 years. I'm still horseing around in my A6, I should upgrade I know but its such a sweet drive, 240,000 Km on. This post a timely reminder that it's 60,000 Km since I changed the fluid, exactly the service interval. I don't bust the box anyway, so its probably fine, so I might change it it or sell it the car on, and push the boat out for something newer. Meantime, in response to your post, I wouldn't get het up about filters, especially if they are a lifetime part. I'm guessing that they only need attention if you roasted the box, burnt up the fluid etc. If the box needs repair then the filter would be part of the process. If your'e just changing the fluid and getting the TCM repaired then I'd assume the filter was fine. If the old fluid came out looking really bad and full of gunk, then maybe your box needs attention.

Thanks for your reply !!

Car is up and running well, following ALL your original instructions given above. I went ahead and returned the inner filter and seals, also returned the Audi aluminum pan gasket, and electronic port rubber seal. Put the Audi all back together with its original 2003 gasket and port seal ... on the advice of the Audi mechanic at the Audi stealership. No leaks ! Impressed with that.

Mercilessly, I decided to go ahead and purchase the external transmission filter. Figured the free lift ride the car would get at the transmission shop would help me get an accurate fluid level .... without putting the Audi back up on its homemade 18" blocks (neighbors weren't too jazzed about that). The 80 to 120 labor fee would have kept the neighbors happy, and given me the satisfaction of a transmission shop stamp of approval.

DIDN'T HAPPEN. Saturday drop off at 8am, and a phone call at their 1pm closing time .... to say that all these items needed to be removed, and so much work was required, and yada', yada', yada' .... can you bring it back Monday ?? Grrrrr. That will be a huge HELL NO !!

It's two line wrenched connections and an attachment point under the transaxle. I saw it ready and easy enough, while going thru the TCM procedure. There's no way it's that difficult. Sooooo' I guess my odyssey will continue with this car and the final post here, will be my fun in proving the transmission professionals in Richardson, Texas .... wrong.

Unless ... of course, someone here surprises me with what the transmission shop has opined. Anyone ? Anyone ? Anyone ?

Stay tuned, and Audi ruined ... for the next installment of "As the Transmission Turns" ....
Old 03-10-2018, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by KidCampbell71

Thanks for your reply !!

Car is up and running well, following ALL your original instructions given above. I went ahead and returned the inner filter and seals, also returned the Audi aluminum pan gasket, and electronic port rubber seal. Put the Audi all back together with its original 2003 gasket and port seal ... on the advice of the Audi mechanic at the Audi stealership. No leaks ! Impressed with that. Guess I fooled the rascal car !!

Mercilessly, I decided to go ahead and purchase the external transmission filter. Figured the free lift ride the car would get at the transmission shop would help me get an accurate fluid level .... without putting the Audi back up on its homemade 18" blocks (neighbors weren't too jazzed about that). The 80 to 120 labor fee would have kept the neighbors happy, and given me the satisfaction of a transmission shop stamp of approval.

DIDN'T HAPPEN. Saturday drop off at 8am, and a phone call at their 1pm closing time .... to say that all these items needed to be removed, and so much work was required, and yada', yada', yada' .... can you bring it back Monday ?? Grrrrr. That will be a huge HELL NO !!

It's two line wrenched connections and an attachment point under the transaxle. I saw it ready and easy enough, while going thru the TCM procedure. There's no way it's that difficult. Sooooo' I guess my odyssey will continue with this car and the final post here, will be my fun in proving the transmission professionals in Richardson, Texas .... wrong.

Unless ... of course, someone here surprises me with what the transmission shop has opined. Anyone ? Anyone ? Anyone ?

Stay tuned, and Audi ruined ... for the next installment of "As the Transmission Turns" ....
Old 03-11-2018, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your wheels up on cinder blocks in your front drive with the lid up...Doesn't your wife just love you for that. Maybe a a few beer crates and an old upturned bathtub just to add atmosphere, somewhere for the neighbourhood committee to sit when they call round.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deezell
Your wheels up on cinder blocks in your front drive with the lid up...Doesn't your wife just love you for that. Maybe a a few beer crates and an old upturned bathtub just to add atmosphere, somewhere for the neighbourhood committee to sit when they call round.
Some of us have wives that do as they are told . They don't do the telling!
Old 10-20-2019, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Question from a dummie here. I plan to change the gearbox-oil in my 2008 Audi A6 Multitronic. I had my gearbox replaced with a total new one at 156Tkm (ensurance), now the car have gone 218Tkm. I have ordered the 3357 tool. I would very much like to avoid to use the vag-tool, this is expensive to buy, difficult for me as a dummie to use, and also reguires abonnements. So I think to go for the sollution of using a thermometer. to check the temperature between 35-45 degrees. But how du I use this thermometer? Is it to stick it up where the oil is filled up when the motor is running? How does a thermometer like this look like?

Quick Reply: Audi A4 2003 Frontrak B6 CVT Multitronic Oil/Fluid change/flush