A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi A4 B6 1.8T Overheating Issue

Old 09-06-2012, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi A4 B6 1.8T Overheating Issue

Hello,
I am having a overheating issue on my 2003 A4 1.8T. There is no coolant leaks. it was bubbling a lot and overheating, so I changed the thermostat. it continued to do the same thing. Then I changed the head gasket and it still continues to do the same thing. Any body have an issue such as this?

I probably should have checked out my water pump while I was fixing the head gasket but I didn't. Is it possible its water pump? There is no coolant flow on the top pipe that goes from radiator to the engine but only air is hissing out. Is there a clog somewhere?
The following users liked this post:
Ralph Chienda (09-16-2023)
Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Common place for clogs is the heater core but it's relatively easy to unclog.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Heater cores do clog, but that is a loop by itself if I remember correctly. The coolant flange has 2 exits, the large one returns to the radiator and the small one goes to the heater loop which after making the cabin toasty, then makes its way to the radiator. If the heater loop is clogged, all presssure should simply go to the radiator.

Assuming the gasket sealed, I would agree with water pump. Do the timing belt and tensioner while you are there The only other option is the radiator, but assuming decent coolant service history (proper coolant and intervals), then I have nev er heard of one clogged.

Last edited by lyleswk; 09-07-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey Thanks for the input.
I am going to try to find a way to add coolant from the bottom somewhere straight into the engine to see if it just might be air pockets that are causing the issue. If its not that then I will have to assume that its the water pump.

When I close the reserve cap, pressure builds up in the system and seems as though only air is moving through the system and most of the coolant just stays in the reservoir.

The water pump has been changed about 40000 miles ago, but who knows it might be the pump.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say water pump as well. We have them available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Jason
Old 09-08-2012, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Does it overheat when just idling?
Old 09-08-2012, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Diztek
Does it overheat when just idling?
Yea the temperature picks up to the 3rd mark even at idling but it should be in the middle on the second mark. If i drive then it goes all the way to the max. So i dont drive it
Old 09-08-2012, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Refilled with coolant

Today I tried to pump the coolant from the bottom where the little drain valve is. I pumped the coolant in and then ran it and bled the system with the little opening on the top pipe. Air kept coming out nonstop along with small bursts of coolant.
I guess it is the water pump because it seems as though the impeller is broken.

Bought a water pump at ECS with the metal impeller.

Will update when I change it.
Hopefully that fixes it cuz I feel naked without my baby. 160000 miles and still runs amazing, besides the little cooling issue...
Old 09-08-2012, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

May as well change the timing belt if u go that route. . I'd see if it's the temp sensor first though.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default temp sensor

Originally Posted by Diztek
May as well change the timing belt if u go that route. . I'd see if it's the temp sensor first though.
Temperature sensor has been changed about 60000 miles ago, but yea its been quite some time and might need to be changed too. Im guessing you are talking about the sensor behind the engine on the three way flange or whatever its called..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi A4 B6 1.8T Overheating Issue