A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Audi A4 B6 1.8T Overheating Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Vovuchka
Bought a water pump at ECS with the metal impeller.
Thanks for the order!!

Jason
Old 10-01-2015, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my audi b6 model is overheating, head gasket fine, waterpump fine, radiator and thermostat fine, it overheats even when idle, any help
Old 10-01-2015, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pyksus
my audi b6 model is overheating, head gasket fine, waterpump fine, radiator and thermostat fine, it overheats even when idle, any help
Check your coolant level. If you have low coolant level it can cause air pockets in the cooling system which will cause it to over heat for a moment.

Could also need to bleed your cooling system of air.

Jason
Old 10-01-2015, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Definitely check coolant level, but how do you know if the water pump and / or thermostat is fine?
Old 11-20-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default SAME PROBLEM SAME MODEL 03 A4 1.8T

Hey Thanks for the input.
I am going to try to find a way to add coolant from the bottom somewhere straight into the engine to see if it just might be air pockets that are causing the issue. If its not that then I will have to assume that its the water pump.

When I close the reserve cap, pressure builds up in the system and seems as though only air is moving through the system and most of the coolant just stays in the reservoir.

The water pump has been changed about 40000 miles ago, but who knows it might be the pump.

Hi someone please help I am looking for answers what it could be,
my 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Overheating I Removed 87 Degree Coolant Thermostat
still overheating I changed the coolant reservoir bottle and changed the cap.
then I installed a new head gasket and change the coolant hose flange.
still overheating coolant is not passing through the top hose that returns to reservoir bottle is blowing air only and shoots coolant only when i turn of the car... while idling it overheats 3/4 because only air and very little coolant is coming out on the small hose that returns coolant to reservoir driving overheats to 4/4..

The guy on this AudiWorld with same issue never wrote back if it was the waterpump or not? Did he replaced the waterpump was he successful?
cause i dunno at this point could it be electrical issue or heater core?
because my heat did not work for past two yrs..
Old 11-20-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default HELP PLEASE 2003 AUDI A4 1.8T NEED TO FIX BEFORE CHRISTMAS NOV/20/2016

Hi someone please help I am looking for answers what it could be,
my 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Overheating I Removed 87 Degree Coolant Thermostat
still overheating I changed the coolant reservoir bottle and changed the cap.
then I installed a new head gasket and change the coolant hose flange.
still overheating coolant is not passing through the top hose that returns to reservoir bottle is blowing air only and shoots coolant only when i turn of the car... while idling it overheats 3/4 because only air and very little coolant is coming out on the small hose that returns coolant to reservoir driving overheats to 4/4..

The guy on this AudiWorld with same issue never wrote back if it was the waterpump or not? Did he replaced the waterpump was he successful?
cause i dunno at this point could it be electrical issue or heater core?
because my heat did not work for past two yrs..
Old 12-02-2016, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

What I learned just by trying everything. If you feel your waterpump and thermostat aren't the problem, meaning you've just replaced it recently, then check your coolant. I hear of a lot of people who just put normal coolant, like Prestone, in an Audi and thats not a good thing. Make sure you're using G12, G12+ or G13 coolant or suitable substitute like Pentosin Pentofrost.

For the longest time, my car would overheat during idle. Never all the way hot, but 3/4 of the way. I changed the waterpump and thought that would work, even though it was recently changed. That wasn't it. Still the same issue. I changed the thermostat again and since I was already in there, swapped out the J-plug with ECS Tuning's billet. Those didn't help. Changed but temp sensors. Nothing. Then I asked a friend who works at an Audi service department to see what he thought it would be. The first thing he asked me was what color the coolant was. I told him green. At that time, I had no idea about the coolants. He told me thats where the problem was and that it should be pink. So I went out and bought some Pentofrost E from my local Napa Auto. Flushed my cooling system with a strong flow of water from a hose which I did a few times. Left the water in there, drove around the block, drained then flushed it again. Then filled it up with with Pentofrost E and was still pessimistic. Drove for a while and let that thing sit in front of my house idling for 30 minutes. The needle never moved from the midway mark. Its been a bit over a year since I did that and my B6 has had no overheating issues yet and I've been stuck in some heavy traffic many times.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Coolant should be a pink color.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello,
I am having a overheating issue on my 2003 A4 1.8T. There is no coolant leaks. it was bubbling a lot and overheating, so I changed the thermostat. it continued to do the same thing. Then I changed the head gasket and it still continues to do the same thing. Any body have an issue such as this?

I probably should have checked out my water pump while I was fixing the head gasket but I didn't. Is it possible its water pump? There is no coolant flow on the top pipe that goes from radiator to the engine but only air is hissing out. Is there a clog somewhere?
Audi a4 1.8t overheating, loosing coolant and pressure testing shows no leakage. please can someone help with the solution or possible cause
Old 05-11-2020, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2004 A4 1.8T

Have 2004 1.8T and have overheating issue. When at idle is steady 90 and after driving for couple minutes temp gauge start going up and my coolant warning light appear on dashboard. If I stop car and put back to idling mode shortly will be back to normal temperature.
PLEASE HELP

Quick Reply: Audi A4 B6 1.8T Overheating Issue