A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Window won't go up, not sure what's wrong

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window won't go up, not sure what's wrong

I have a 2004 A4 3.0L Quattro, and the driver's side window appears broken now. When I went to roll it up, it felt different and wasn't smooth, then later on it wouldn't go up all the way, so i rolled it down a little and then up, and then it would go up.

Now I just came home and had the window down and it won't roll up at all. It did make a clunking sound a few times when it wasn't going up and down properly. When I get into the car and put the key in and try to roll it up, i hear the 'electronics' trying to activate it, then nothing. Then if I try again, i don't hear any sounds.

Any idea what it could be?

Also, is there a way to roll up the window manually?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by abcxyzzz
I have a 2004 A4 3.0L Quattro, and the driver's side window appears broken now. When I went to roll it up, it felt different and wasn't smooth, then later on it wouldn't go up all the way, so i rolled it down a little and then up, and then it would go up.

Now I just came home and had the window down and it won't roll up at all. It did make a clunking sound a few times when it wasn't going up and down properly. When I get into the car and put the key in and try to roll it up, i hear the 'electronics' trying to activate it, then nothing. Then if I try again, i don't hear any sounds.

Any idea what it could be?

Also, is there a way to roll up the window manually?

Your window regulator is shot, very common for Audi's... The good news is that it is not too hard to fix, you just have to take the door molding off (make sure you find all the screws before you start yanking on it). In the mean time if you can expose a little of the window, pull it upward and have someone pull the up button at the same time until it is closed. Here is the part you need to order...

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-...dow/ES2500598/

Good luck, I've been through this 3 times now.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SLE3PER
Your window regulator is shot, very common for Audi's... The good news is that it is not too hard to fix, you just have to take the door molding off (make sure you find all the screws before you start yanking on it). In the mean time if you can expose a little of the window, pull it upward and have someone pull the up button at the same time until it is closed. Here is the part you need to order...

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B6_A4-...dow/ES2500598/

Good luck, I've been through this 3 times now.
Is there a way I can know if it's the window regulator for sure and what part of it is broken?

Also, any particular brand I should buy? I read that the OEM version has some cheap plastic part that keeps breaking, but PIMAX has some metal parts instead of the cheap plastic part. Anyone recommend any good brands that will last?

Thanks again.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

When this has happened to me, the cable was either stretched and twisted or the pulley wheel broke and the cable jumped off. There isn't a doubt in my mind that yours is shot and they are not serviceable, you just have to get a new one. The B6's aren't riveted in like the B5's so it is a much easier job. I'm not sure about the metal vs plastic part you mentioned but for me it has always been a pulley or cable. The cable binding is the noise that your hearing. My $.02, just get the cheapest replacement you can, it will last just as long as your current one did.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Window broken AGAIN!

So I had the window regulator replaced at an Audi Independent place about 3 weeks ago. Today, it's broken again. It was stuck at the half-way point and when i was pushing the window button up or down it made this crunching noise. I managed to have my brother pull up window while I was pulling up on the lever/button.

I pushed down on it just a little and the window went down about 4 inches while making the crunching noise (sounds like crunching up a thick plastic bag), and then tried to roll it up again. Just kept hearing the crunching noise and it sounded like something was getting more and more tangled. Well we coudln't pull it up again and now when i push up or down on the window button, there's NO noise at all (not even a 'trying' noise). Could I have broken the motor in the process, or is window regulator cable just so twisted it won't even budge. I hope I didn't break the motor Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh, and they did replace it with an oem VDO manufacturer part...
Old 07-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I had the window regulator replaced at an Audi Independent place about 3 weeks ago. Today, it's broken again. It was stuck at the half-way point and when i was pushing the window button up or down it made this crunching noise. I managed to have my brother pull up window while I was pulling up on the lever/button.

I pushed down on it just a little and the window went down about 4 inches while making the crunching noise (sounds like crunching up a thick plastic bag), and then tried to roll it up again. Just kept hearing the crunching noise and it sounded like something was getting more and more tangled. Well we coudln't pull it up again and now when i push up or down on the window button, there's NO noise at all (not even a 'trying' noise). Could I have broken the motor in the process, or is window regulator cable just so twisted it won't even budge. I hope I didn't break the motor Please let me know. Thanks.
Sorry to hear that, sounds like the shop did something wrong. I'd just bring it back to them. Your motor should be fine, a fuse would pop before it burned up. The cable will get tight eventually and stop the motor from moving. Give the door panel a smack and keep hitting the button up and down while someone pushes and pulls on the window.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If not the regulator then could be the window master switch http://switchdoctor.net 30 day return policy.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default what was the part that was broken ?

Is there a way I can know if it's the window regulator for sure and what part of it is broken?

Also, any particular brand I should buy? I read that the OEM version has some cheap plastic part that keeps breaking, but PIMAX has some metal parts instead of the cheap plastic part. Anyone recommend any good brands that will last?

Thanks again.

what is the part i need to buy? the link doesn't work for me.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Could be the regulator, could be the motor, could be the switch. Have you troubleshoot it yet? When you activate the switch is there any noise? Can you manually pull the window up?

Quick Reply: Window won't go up, not sure what's wrong