A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Brake Switch A4 B6 clean to avoid ABS and traction control light on dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Switch A4 B6 clean to avoid ABS and traction control light on dash

I thought I'd see if cleaning the infamous brake switch will fix my intermittent ABS as traction control light coming on my dash.

To remove the switch takes 5 mins:

Remove fuse cover on drivers side.
Undo 8mm screw, plus two more under foot well.

Top left you will see brake switch with plug going into it, disconnect, twist switch 1/4 turn anticlockwise, pull out.
Use thin blade to release four tabs on switch case to open up. Clean up contacts inside if any dirt, there is a lubricate inside so try and move some clean amount onto the contacts you've just cleaned, I used a cotton bud.

Reassemble and see how you go.
Audi A4 B6 brake switch clean.
Build up of dirt on one of the tabs inside.

Lift four tabs open switch.

Last edited by A1EK; 11-21-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 287 Likes on 232 Posts

If you are getting lights showing on the dash, I'd suggest you take a look at the teeth on the wheel ring down at the ABS wheel sensor. Those teeth do get corroded depending upon how much winter muck occurs in your location - a quick scrubbing with a wire brush might resolve any issues
Old 11-19-2017, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well done A1EK.
I have replaced about 6 of these over the years on different Audi's and VW's I owned, never thought to pull them apart to find out why they fail.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A4Audi4Fun
If you are getting lights showing on the dash, I'd suggest you take a look at the teeth on the wheel ring down at the ABS wheel sensor. Those teeth do get corroded depending upon how much winter muck occurs in your location - a quick scrubbing with a wire brush might resolve any issues
​​​​​​thanks, I'll check that , what's the best way, remove the wheel?

Last edited by A1EK; 11-20-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by John535is
Well done A1EK.
I have replaced about 6 of these over the years on different Audi's and VW's I owned, never thought to pull them apart to find out why they fail.
I used to have the same issue on my Mercedes, which has the same set up.

So far the lights have remained off for a couple of days.
Update: Spoke too soon, lights came on again, I can feel abs slightly on too sometimes, must be sensor? . If the ABS and traction control light does not come on straight away but after I drive a little, do you think this is moe likely to be the brake switch or a dirty ABS wheel sensor?

Last edited by A1EK; 11-21-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I bought a brake sensor as there was a sale on and it was worth a try for £8 ! but still the ABS and traction control lights came on.
So I got home, plugged in the lap top and it appears that the rear right ABS sensor is open and faulty code #00287 as below :

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8E0-614-517.LBL
Controller: 8E0 614 517
Component: ABS/ESP front 4529
Coding: 04499
Shop #: WSC 00672
VCID: E5BDB2976C79
1 Fault Found:
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Right (G44)
30-00 - Open or Short to Plus

I went to remove it but the small bolt is corroded and I will have to drill it out now !!
Attached Thumbnails Brake Switch A4 B6 clean to avoid ABS and traction control light on dash-20171121_205909.jpg  
Old 11-24-2017, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interestingly it was below freezing today and the lights were off on my dash ! I have bought a new ABS sensor still though to change.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I replaced the ABS sensor, it was a pig of a job and took me 5 hours !

The sensor its self was well and trully stuck and corroded in place. I had to drill it out along with the bolt. I needed to remove the caliper and disk to get into the sensor properly to allow me to drill it which took me about 2.5 hours.
Then the worst part was trying to find the damn plug connector for the other end of the sensor in the car, I know it was behind the rear panle (my car is a cabriolet) however I just couldn't find it and in the end had to remove the rear seat and trim completely eventually finding it buried and cable tied at the back. The next challange was to feed the new cable through from the underside which involved removing a bottom panel then using a piece of metal wire to locate and pull through.

Once all done I then had to put the car all back together which if anyone has a cabriolet may know how tricky the rear panel can be !

End result is that the problem has been fixed, although I stripped a wheel bolt when I put the wheel back on !
Old 11-27-2017, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A1EK
I replaced the ABS sensor, it was a pig of a job and took me 5 hours !

The sensor its self was well and trully stuck and corroded in place. I had to drill it out along with the bolt. I needed to remove the caliper and disk to get into the sensor properly to allow me to drill it which took me about 2.5 hours.
Then the worst part was trying to find the damn plug connector for the other end of the sensor in the car, I know it was behind the rear panle (my car is a cabriolet) however I just couldn't find it and in the end had to remove the rear seat and trim completely eventually finding it buried and cable tied at the back. The next challange was to feed the new cable through from the underside which involved removing a bottom panel then using a piece of metal wire to locate and pull through.

Once all done I then had to put the car all back together which if anyone has a cabriolet may know how tricky the rear panel can be !

End result is that the problem has been fixed, although I did strip a wheel bolt when I put the wheel back on !
Attached Thumbnails Brake Switch A4 B6 clean to avoid ABS and traction control light on dash-snap1.jpg  
Old 10-11-2018, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I realize this post is nearly a year old, but was hoping someone could shed some light on my situation. My ABS and traction control lights are constantly on. I have VAG-COM and scanned and got code for front left ABS wheel speed sensor open or short to plus. The left front would be the front driver's side wheel speed sensor, correct? I changed this sensor out, but the code is still there. I also thought maybe I would have to reset it in VAG-COM, but the code popped right back up. The lights showed up intermittently at first (they would be off and then show up after driving a bit and the ABS would kick in for no reason and would stay on until I shut the car off and back on). Now the code is constantly on. It's gone of once or twice in the last few months after I've shut the car off, turned it on shortly after, but always reappears after normal braking a few times. I think I will try the cleaning of the brake switch as suggested here (this light showed up one time when I turned the car on and the battery seemed low/like the car was going to die and all the lights went dim, but this all went away after driving for a second), but would like to know if someone has another suggestion.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Brake Switch A4 B6 clean to avoid ABS and traction control light on dash