A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Calling Bob Petruska, please check your e-mail.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling Bob Petruska, please check your e-mail.

Have question about how not to remove front bumper to replace headlight washer piston. Thank you.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Don't see the email, but your past post stated the headlight washer pump, not piston.

I said you can remove the headlight washer pump without removing the front bumper. You remove the driver's side front inner wheelwell liner, remove the washer fluid resevoir to get at the headlight washer pump.

Now if the the headlight washer(piston) needs to be replaced them I'm sorry to say that the front bumper needs to come off. I had a leaky washer that was bleeding a quart or two of washer fluid a day. I definitely didn't want my dealer removing my Brillant Black bumper as it would never be the same with all the scratches and gouges they most likely would have inflected. I just disconnected the electrical connector for the headlight washer pump, pulled the headlight washer hose and plugged the washer pump outlet. I really don't need the headlight washers at all, they just consume too much fluid when not needed. I need the fluid for my windshield and would run out quite fast at night with the headlight washers constantly squirting with all the slush and salt in northeastern winters.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bob...thanks...it is the connector to the piston that they say they cannot reconnect without

replacing the whole unit with the connector attached from the factory. I am also concerned about removeing the bumper, not to mention scratches, but breaking factory seals, getting rattles, etc... My car like yours was dumping the fluid as fast as I can fill it, but I didn't see the leak until the car was on a slight incline one day. I am completely amazed that this could happen on a brand new car. Had to be a factory defect because my fluid low light came on the day I drove it off the lot. I greatly appreciate your advice.

PS: sent the email to your microserve.net address, don't want to put it here, but it is out there on Audiworld