A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start

I have a 2004 Audi A4 B6 1.8t Quattro, 6 speed manual. I bought the car a week ago and it was throwing code for the Camshaft position sensor being no good so I bought a new sensor and installed the part. Also bought a new battery and threw a bit of oil and coolant in the vehicle. I noticed that the reservoir for the vehicle had a little leak so I still tried to start it because I assumed that from the few drips it would still consume majority of the coolant. The car wouldn't start and when I got out of the vehicle there was coolant all over the ground (same amount that I input into the car). so I'm not sure where its coming from and why the vehicle still isn't starting. not sure if I should try to car the coil packs and spark plugs for the starting issue. Also not sure where to look for the coolant leak. Need some help. The vehicle is also under a Canadian title but its located here in AZ and I want to get it registered here under an abandoned title, so if you have some knowledge there please share. This is my first German vehicle so I don't know much about it yet.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

First, do you remember what part specifically? Was it the G28 Engine Speed Sensor (aka crank sensor)? If so, what brand did you replace with?

As to the coolant, where does it leak from? Driver, Passenger, back of engine, front of engine, etc
Old 06-12-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just bought my first Audi last week as well. A 2005 A4 Quattro 3.0l. My first German car as well. I have read that these cars are finicky on what type of parts you use as replacements and cause issues. Things like you may have the correct diagnosis and correct part but because of the quality of the part it ****s with everything. I'm still learning myself. I experienced this with a Toyota Celica I bought about 7 years ago. It needed a MAF sensor and I bought an aftermarket inexpensive one and put it on but it didn't solve the issue. For ****s and giggles my mechanic got an OEM quality MAF sensor and tout it on and it fixed the problem. So, these Audis are gonna be a learning curve for me for this type of reason.
as for your coolant leak, I would maybe use water and put it in and watch closely. Determine the approximate area it is coming from and then watch that area as you put the water in. If it dumps out when trying to start the engine get someone to do the turning the engine over part while you watch the engine area.
sorry I'm not any great help but keep us posted and good luck.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't remember the brand of the part but the part I replaced was the Camshaft Position sensor and not the crank sensor.... Should I attempt to replace the Crank Sensor instead? Also would it be better if I buy the parts from an Audi dealer instead? The part I got was from a local parts store, that was pretty cheap, so I'm not sure if it maybe could be the part not being up to par with the vehicles computer liking or what. But the coolant leak is about the oil pan if I'm looking at everything correctly. I'm not sure what it could be, unfortunately.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

NS Audi, I appreciate your input. any help is help indeed so I will follow your instructions as well as anyone else's instruction to help me with this vehicle.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The leak also seems to be more of mid-engine and driver side, as far as I can tell.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Adamh04
I don't remember the brand of the part but the part I replaced was the Camshaft Position sensor and not the crank sensor.... Should I attempt to replace the Crank Sensor instead? Also would it be better if I buy the parts from an Audi dealer instead? The part I got was from a local parts store, that was pretty cheap, so I'm not sure if it maybe could be the part not being up to par with the vehicles computer liking or what. But the coolant leak is about the oil pan if I'm looking at everything correctly. I'm not sure what it could be, unfortunately.
Cam sensor generally causes other problems (misfires, . And yes, I would buy from a dealer or reputable online company like ECStuning and get an OEM part. It is known as the G28 Engine Speed Sensor. Some info on it's location in the link below:

Old 06-13-2018, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Adamh04
The leak also seems to be more of mid-engine and driver side, as far as I can tell.
That sounds like one of 2 things: the "j-plug" or reservoir connection. As NS Audi said, best thing to do is fill the coolant, start the car, and go have a look. It sounds like it comes out pretty fast.

Last edited by lyleswk; 06-13-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey
wish I could help more but I don't have any experience with Audi. I can do some things but not a lot, lol. For parts on these cars I don't think I would go the cheapest you can find but I don't think you need to pay through the nose at Audi. Some parts like brake pads, rotors and so on you can source out. Like the other fella commented here you can get a lot of good quality parts online. I plan on doing some research and asking members of this page and so on the best places online to get parts as I know the dealer will bleed me dry. I already found a good affordable mechanic that specializes in VW nd Audi so that's half the battle.
Sorry I can't be more help but I can only do certain mechanical work and that is about it. I just heard elsewhere about the thing I mentioned about using quality parts and remember I went through the same thing with my 90 Celica that I bought a few years back. You would think a replacement part is a replacement part but some cars just demand quality.
If you have any hints or pointers to share with me I'm always listening and learning.
Keep us posted on how you make out.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I found a company here in Canada that sells parts for European Vehicles and their parts are suppose to be ALL OEM QUALITY. Just checking various things out their prices seem pretty reasonable and flat rate shipping costs. Under $150 shipping is $7.95 and over $150 shipping is $15.95.
Here is the link.
GermanParts.ca

Quick Reply: Car wont start