A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Clean out oil pickup during oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clean out oil pickup during oil change?

I've had my 2003 a4 for a couple months now, and its getting time that I change the oil. I've heard that the oil pickups on these 1.8t's gunk up over time,and thats got me kind of nervous. How is it taking the oil pan off the quattro 1.8t's? and does the pickup unbolt easily? Im assuming some brake clean should get it cleaned good?
I'm reasonably mechanically inclined but just wanted to know if its something one can tackle on their own? I dont have an oil pressure gauge so taking the pickup off and potentially have it not make a perfect seal upon re installation has got me a bit nervous because I woudnt have any way of knowing the oil pressure is low until it was too late.

A little insight into the process, and weather its even necessary would be appreciated.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Probably not a bad idea if you don't know the history of the car. But, it is not easy. You have to get the subframe out of the way to get the oil pan off. Most accepted is using an engine support bar, but you may be able to rig something up. Also requires realigning the subframe when you reinstall. I have also heard of putting the front clip in the service position, unbolting the engine and rotating up, and unbolting the subframe. Rumor is it provides enough room to get the pan off. Pulling the engine is the other option.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Probably not a bad idea if you don't know the history of the car. But, it is not easy. You have to get the subframe out of the way to get the oil pan off. Most accepted is using an engine support bar, but you may be able to rig something up. Also requires realigning the subframe when you reinstall. I have also heard of putting the front clip in the service position, unbolting the engine and rotating up, and unbolting the subframe. Rumor is it provides enough room to get the pan off. Pulling the engine is the other option.
Oh ok, I remember watching a video on it a while back and it seemed pretty easy. Must have been a jetta or golf with the engine sideways because there didnt seem to be a subframe or anything like that in the way of the pan.
I definitely dont have the means or the capability to lift the engine or remove the subframe, so I'll just hope that more frequent oil changes stem the buildup of gunk on the pickup

Other than cleaning out the pickup, is there anything else thats reasonably easy to do which would be good maintenance on the 1.8t? I plan on doing the timing belt this summer. Thats another thing that trips me out, because having that snap would wreck an interferance engine like the 1.8.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My formula with 2 A4s and a TT:

1) Use only Audi fluids except for oil and coolant (pentosin only) which have numerous acceptable branded options. This include trans oil, diff oil, power steering, etc.
2) If you don't know the age of your timing belt, I would be tempted to do it now. I changed on all 3 above cars when I purchased. I did the A4's, but not the TT.
3) 5000K oil changes on only synthetic. You might go shorter (3K) for a few changes to clean things out a bit.

That's really it. Things will break and you will get to fix them.

Oh and enjoy it. I have readopted the second A4 from my son and drive it daily. Other than slow off the line, I enjoy driving it.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lyleswk
My formula with 2 A4s and a TT:

1) Use only Audi fluids except for oil and coolant (pentosin only) which have numerous acceptable branded options. This include trans oil, diff oil, power steering, etc.
2) If you don't know the age of your timing belt, I would be tempted to do it now. I changed on all 3 above cars when I purchased. I did the A4's, but not the TT.
3) 5000K oil changes on only synthetic. You might go shorter (3K) for a few changes to clean things out a bit.

That's really it. Things will break and you will get to fix them.

Oh and enjoy it. I have readopted the second A4 from my son and drive it daily. Other than slow off the line, I enjoy driving it.
In such a small engine bay can the timing belt be changed without having to remove the engine or anything like that?
I see that the kits on ecs are relatively inexpensive, and I'm familiar with the general process of changing the timing belt. Anything in perticular to watch out for when changing the belt? Might end up getting that done along with the oil change over Christmas break.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, but you have to put the front of the car put into the "service" position. Other than that, make sure and mark and count teeth with the old one installed before you remove it. One link for thge timing belt removal and another I found if you want to see what it is like to remove the oil pan from our friends on AZ

DIY: B6 A4 1.8T - Timing Belt and Water Pump Change

B6 1.8T Oil Pan Removal/Install DIY
Old 12-18-2017, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Besides everything lyleswk has advised, I would definitely do the water pump while doing the timing belt, and I would check the crankcase breather hose as its easy to get at while the front clip is off. Mine had gone brittle with heat and created a vacuum leak that took forever to find down under the intake manifold. If you decide to pull the sump replace the breather hose first, mine fell apart while trying to remove it and I was paranoid some plastic pipe bits wall fall into the sump, so do it first.
I would take the front clip off (like in lyleswk links) not just put it in service position, its not much more effort and provides an easier task for the TB replacement.
You could probably check the engine mounts too as its easier with the clip off to get to them.

Its a good fun car to drive -enjoy!
Old 12-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by John535is
Besides everything lyleswk has advised, I would definitely do the water pump while doing the timing belt, and I would check the crankcase breather hose as its easy to get at while the front clip is off. Mine had gone brittle with heat and created a vacuum leak that took forever to find down under the intake manifold. If you decide to pull the sump replace the breather hose first, mine fell apart while trying to remove it and I was paranoid some plastic pipe bits wall fall into the sump, so do it first.
I would take the front clip off (like in lyleswk links) not just put it in service position, its not much more effort and provides an easier task for the TB replacement.
You could probably check the engine mounts too as its easier with the clip off to get to them.

Its a good fun car to drive -enjoy!
For the time being, I'll just keep an eye on how the oil is looking, and replace it on shorter intervals to trap the sediments in the filter. As for the timing belt, its definitely something I'll do sooner rather than later.
Those links will definitely be helpful, as nothing is as simple as meets the eyes with these cars.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Removing the front is actually simpler than it sounds. Because they are actually designed to be removed you just follow the instructions to remove the bolts, so while it takes a bit of time it actually works quite well to provide heaps of access. The 1.8T quattro was the first one I changed the timing belt on like this, some of the on-line kit retailers (ECS etc) have step by step guides so its just mechanics by numbers. I put aside 1 day, on my own, took my time, TB, water pump, thermostat, cleaned everything in site and I recall test driving it down the road for a case of cold beer about 3pm. If you can get anyone to assist when actually removing and reinstalling the front clip, its all plastic so easy to scratch on your own, it would help. If you have ever had to change a timing belt on a front wheel drive where the front of the engine is close to the side of the engine bay, this is actually easier.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by John535is
Removing the front is actually simpler than it sounds. Because they are actually designed to be removed you just follow the instructions to remove the bolts, so while it takes a bit of time it actually works quite well to provide heaps of access. The 1.8T quattro was the first one I changed the timing belt on like this, some of the on-line kit retailers (ECS etc) have step by step guides so its just mechanics by numbers. I put aside 1 day, on my own, took my time, TB, water pump, thermostat, cleaned everything in site and I recall test driving it down the road for a case of cold beer about 3pm. If you can get anyone to assist when actually removing and reinstalling the front clip, its all plastic so easy to scratch on your own, it would help. If you have ever had to change a timing belt on a front wheel drive where the front of the engine is close to the side of the engine bay, this is actually easier.
Hahah, nice. Yeah With the front end on, theres very little room between the front of the engine and the radiator fans. Makes sense how removing anything obstructing the front of the engine would make it a lot easier. Most of the kits on places like ECS also include a waterpump with a metal impeller so seems like its commonly replaced with the timing belt.
Thus far I've already tried getting the bumper off by removing the headlights, because I've god a boost leak somewhere I've been trying to find, so I've done part of getting the front clip off.

Also on an unrelated note, How are the 2.7TT in the a6's? While looking for my car I stumbled across one of those for a good price, but passed the opportunity because of my relative lack of knowledge surrounding those engines, compared to the 1.8t's

Last edited by LordKarnage17; 12-19-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Clean out oil pickup during oil change?