A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak

I'm finding that owning 2 Audis over 10 years old is much like watching over twin toddlers. Once you get one cleaned up the other has gotten into mischief when you weren't looking. Rinse & repeat, indefinitely.

My A4 1.8T Cabrio is now acting up with a coolant leak, and I am hoping some of you might be able to share similar experiences or give me an idea of where else to look.

As near as I can tell, it's coming from behind the crank pulley, which would usually tell me the water pump is leaking. It's literally the furthest point upwards that I can find any coolant which makes me believe it's behind the timing cover. It's so hard to tell on these cars though because of all of the wires, hoses and other lines that route much like a bowl of spaghetti. Plus, the engine is shoehorned in there.

What's even worse- is it appears the previous owner put standard green antifreeze in there.... which, I am guess is why the water pump (may) be failing. I've just been putting distilled water in to keep it topped off and will put the Pentofrost G12++ purple in once I figure this all out. But for now, I just want to figure this out.

Supposedly the previous owner (I've only had this car 2 months) had the timing belt done once but I am not sure when. At 120k miles, it likely needs another one in the next 20k miles anyhow so if I'm going to tackle the water pump I might as well do the belt too.

Let me know your thoughts guys!

~George
Old 11-26-2017, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First - Don't mix the green with the G12+ coolant. yes the green is the wrong stuff but stay with it till you flush the green out. I've not seen it but heard horror stories of the 2 combined ending up with some sort of glug (technical term I know).
I personally always use the correct coolant but I know of friends who have used the green for years with no ill effects. But don't try and mix the 2.

I think you are correct about the water pump and if you are thinking of doing the timing belt then its an opportune time to do the belt, tensioner and water pump at the same time. Some places sell kits that include a water pump (called ultimate kits) or similar.

Being the owner of 2 Audi's and 2 VW's I know what you mean about owning twins. (actually I have them as well) hence why I now maintain 4 VAG cars.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Although different engine, sounds very similar to the link below. Does sounds like the pump.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...-pump-2934486/