A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Does Audi's Nav still lack a Map Display?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does Audi's Nav still lack a Map Display?

The lack of a large screen NAV system keeps the A4's interior from being perfect. If pisses me off that Audi does not offer a real NAV system in the U.S. Why is Audi so scared of releasing the NAV plus in the U.S?

BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes, Acura, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Saab all offer Center Console mounted NAV Displays with real-time maps. Audi is dropping the ball on this one. If all is equal, and I had a choice between a car with Audi's NAV and A car with a real Nav system. Audi would not get my money. The Lack of a real NAV system is what swayed me away from Audi when my 1.8t lease ran out. I chose the 330i instead of the S4. A big reason was Audi's Sub-Par Navigation system.

I understand that a NAV is not really important to some folks. But there is a coolness factor about them that I can't live without. Audi makes great cars but so does BMW, and Mercedes-Benz. BMW and Mercedes now offer AWD. Audi's advantage is dwindling. Audi's lack of the real NAV system gives Mercedes and BMW an advantage. I want an Audi when my 330i's lease is out, but not without a better NAV system. If not I'll get a Mercedes or another BMW. I hope your listening Audi.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost. The Audi Nav is very inexpensive. Also, liability.

If you do a search for Nav on the A6 and A8 forums ( where more people have this option ), you'll find that most folks are very happy with the system and how it functions. If you use the Nav as a Nav system instead of a bling system, it functions very well indeed !

Under the skin, the sceen version and the voice version are pretty much the same ( and shared with BMWs system ). It takes 10 to 15 minutes to get familiar with system. If you read about all the problems the new 7 series is having with software and Nav, you'll see the charm of a simple tried and true system;-)
Old 08-27-2002, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've owned several cars in the past three years with Nav...

and my 02 A4 currently has the factory nav in it, and I must say it is much easier to use and makes a much more sense than the "Map display" versions.

Don't get me wrong they do look nice and do add a little of the "cool factor" to the interior, but I find myself paying more attention to the road with the Audi system and not to the cute little map. I also like the fact that the Audi system seems to makes quicker decisions than the units I had before and all the info I need is right next to my gauges.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: I've owned several cars in the past three years with Nav...

My BMW's NAV system can utilize a map or arrows (simular to Audi) along with Voice prompts. Compared to the NAV systems that are being offered by everyone else, Audi's NAV system seems to be lacking. Whats the deal? In europe Audi's NAV uses a map display.