A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

F*&k me, did I kill my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F*&k me, did I kill my engine?

2003 A4 Sedan 1.8T Quattro. 130k miles

So this will sound bad. So forgive me. For a few days engine was making a loud clanking/tick tick noise. I ignored it.

Always before if oil was low i would get oil min light , and I would promptly add oil. This light never came on this time. The other day I was driving and it began to lose power, check engine light came on and began to flash and car shut off. Would not start again. CEL did not come on until right before it died.

Had it towed. Dip stick was bone dry. Added 3-4 quarts, oil level now normal. Engine WILL start but it makes whooshing noise and turns off again within 5 seconds. RPMs do move a bit ~1500. Also, white smoke comes out of rear end during these few seconds.

Someone said if i truly killed engine by driving without oil it would not even do what I described above...

I have a code reader, below are what it put out. I hope its only the coils. But I fear its worse. How much would a replacement engine cost? How about installation? I'm in Oregon.

Thank you everybody.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Old 07-20-2017, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

If you really put 3 to 4 quarts into it, then it had little to no oil. With little to no oil, my guess is you have done serious internal damage including popping the head. Wouldn't put a dime into it without tearing the engine down and then I suspect you will find that it isn't worth repairing.

Cost of a new engine? Totally depends. Would start with a place like Shokan...
Old 07-20-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Sorry to hear that, but clanking noise, lost power, and smoke usually mean the engine is ruined. Sadly, the turbo too.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, pretty sure the engine is a goner. Unless the rest of the car is totally cherry, and unless you can install the new engine yourself, the economics of a swap are really against you. Better to hop on Craigslist and start over. Also, perhaps a resolve to use the dipstick and spend a little more time on maintenence would be helpful to you. If circumstances work against doing that, I'd suggest getting a ride that is both less sensitive to abuse and less expensive to repair.

​​​​​​
Old 07-22-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It is in great condition exterior and in. How much should I ask for it?
Old 07-22-2017, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

low oil light? for a 03 1.8T thats a new one to me, you mean oil pressure light? if that comes on then its usually far too late, unless you just cracked your oil pan and shutdown immediately.. if your burned everything down to bring that light on, you didnt just run out of oil, you been out for a long time.

there is only one oil level indicator in your vehicle, and thats the dip stick.

Oil Pressure light is an idiot light, meaning if you ever triggered it your an idiot.. you shoulda noticed something was wrong and killed the engine way before that comes on.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 07-22-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This one. In past it would come on and I'd top it off. It then went away.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
Old 07-24-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Somenewb
It is in great condition exterior and in. How much should I ask for it?
You could try for $ 800.00, if it's worth saving. But somehow, considering the circumstances of your engine's demise, I doubt the rest of the car is well taken care of either. You could part it out if you want to spend the time and have the skills to take it apart.
​​
Old 07-27-2017, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks everyone for your inputs.

Quick Reply: F*&k me, did I kill my engine?