A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Got rear ended now insurance wants to total my USP Avant. Need advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got rear ended now insurance wants to total my USP Avant. Need advise

Guys, need some help/advice here, please.

About a week ago, I got rear ended while stopped at an intersection. The other driver claimed he couldn't stop in time. The road was wet but we were in a 30mph zone, he ended up swerving to the left to avoid hitting me but ended up clipping the driver's rear. I'm guessing he was probably on his phone or otherwise distracted, not that it matters.

Anyway, estimate for repair is just over $6000. Now, insurance is telling me it's considered a total loss and will reimburse me approx $3700. The damage is actually minimal, taillight is broken but the hatch still opens. No mechanical or tire damage whatsoever.

I am the original owner of the car and have pretty much babied her throughout the years so naturally, I don't want to give her up. What are my options?

1) Back out of the claim and pay for repairs myself? Which would suck since I'm not at fault.
2) Can I negotiate with the collision shop to estimate a new repair on just getting the car roadworthy and accept a few scratched and dents, then see if insurance will cover the repair?

What other options are there? What would you do? Any help would be tremendously appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Got rear ended now insurance wants to total my USP Avant. Need advise-img_5308.jpg   Got rear ended now insurance wants to total my USP Avant. Need advise-img_5311.jpg  
Old 11-07-2017, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe you can combine option 2 with speaking to the at fault party and ask them to pay out of pocket instead of going through insurance. You would always have the right to sue the at fault party, so maybe you can also sign an agreement waiving your rights to pursue legal action as pertains to the accident. That may entice them into working with you.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by carlito

The damage is actually minimal, taillight is broken but the hatch still opens.
Well, the damage to the quarter panel is NOT minimal. That will turn out to be a big $$$ repair to make it right. We had virtually the same accident with my wife at the wheel of a Passat wagon. The impact was similar to yours, but it also tweaked the roof rail and they were apprehensive about fixing it. They wanted to total the car but we ultimately compelled them to repair it.

This is one of those unfortunate scenarios and the insurance companies are only required to buy you out of the car at whatever book value is.

Could you acquire a similar car and swap your bits 'n' pieces into it?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Appreciate the replies. Thanks, guys!

Update:
This is awesome! Turns out I can keep my car _and_ still get the insurance money minus a small fee to keep my car. Didn't know this was a thing.

And, found a pretty sweet B8 avant already. Total 180° in a day!