AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b6-platform-discussion-34/)
-   -   has anyone with a manual installed an autostart? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b6-platform-discussion-34/has-anyone-manual-installed-autostart-2320083/)

Paulab 02-09-2004 05:50 AM

has anyone with a manual installed an autostart?

how diffidult was the install and have you had any problems?
how much did you pay for it and what brand was it?

ILMA_Revo_Stage_2+ 02-09-2004 06:09 AM

Re: has anyone with a manual installed an autostart?

Paula, contact DSI Mobile in Laurel, MD. They may have done something like this. They're about 10-15 mins from College Park and they did the work on my car. E-Mail me for details.

Projekt 8E 02-09-2004 06:19 AM

as cool as that would be. This is too beautiful of a car to send hopping down the street into the

next car or tree. If you have ever left your car in gear when parked you are at risk. This was just asked a couple days ago and I said the same thing. Even professional installers mess up. I've seen it happen. Multiple accounts here where I live. (not by the same installer) Cars busting through garage doors, running down streets whenever they feel like it. Even with a neatral safety switch installed this still happens.

But if you are really interested, I believe it's possible to do it through your key fob. Not sure what the effects would be to the alarm though.

Paulab 02-09-2004 06:28 AM

ygm

ILMA_Revo_Stage_2+ 02-09-2004 08:18 AM

ygm2

rotto 02-09-2004 12:43 PM

Even with a neutral saftey switch...?

you have seen problems? I would think that unless the switch was faulty or not adjusted properly there would be no issue.

Projekt 8E 02-09-2004 01:29 PM

yeah, switches fail, come loose and so on. It's not something that you are always looking at and

there is a lot of movement down there so you can't ALWAYS check it. I'l seen to many busted garages and cars to consider it anymore. On my old truck that was an automatic I had it, it worked great. But not on a manual would i take that risk. especially if it hit a kid or something! haha, hooooooolllllly sheeeeeit thats trouble!

rotto 02-09-2004 04:30 PM

Exactly why I want a factory system...

Being integrated by the car maker allows for a lot of testing to be done, as a complete unit. There are a lot of things that make cars dangerous but we still use them and I think if a group of engineers was willing to take the time to work on redundancy and strict tolerances then we should be able to obtain the same safety levels that we expect from modern cruise control, etc. I would like to see Audi get into this so we can have an alternative to the riskier aftermarket option.

Projekt 8E 02-09-2004 04:48 PM

Lotta R&D for something that so few would pay for I'm sure.

rotto 02-09-2004 08:13 PM

I'm not so sure. I have no idea what market research has already been done...

I assume car makers have looked into it before. Evidently Chevy feels it's worth it on the new Malibu Maxx, although I don't know if it offers a manual tranny. There certainly is enough of a market to keep the after-market guys in business. It will be interesting to see how many other car makers start offering a factory remote start.