A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

How to care for the paint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to care for the paint?

What should I use to wash the car?
Do you have suggested products that are very mild and do not damage the paint? I also noticed that, I do have a few lines in the clear coat (I got brilliant black). How do I get them out? They are not really scratches; it just looks like line or micro scratch in the clear coat. Visible just form some angles.

And lastly when do I wax? What do I use?

thank you
Old 11-21-2001, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Lexol makes stuff for paint?

I was under the impression they were known for the leather cleaning products. Most of the posts I've seen around here speak highly of Zymol, Zaino, and a few other products that are pretty well known, such as Meguires (sic?). Do a SEARCH and you should be able to come up with several threads discussing different waxes and clay bars.
Old 11-21-2001, 09:25 AM
DRG

Default 3M Imperial Hand Glaze has been highly popular in these forums for masking light swirl marks

You apply it after cleaning the paint and before waxing. Since your car is new, you'll be skipping the cleaning step this time around. Meguiar's #7 is another only slightly less popular option for swirl-filling polish.

For wax, One Grand Blitz Wax seems to have a strong contingent out here. Meguiar's #26 was popular at one time, but many claim it leaves behind a greasy look.

Next year, when you will be wanting to clean your paint prior to polish, you may want to consider the use of clay. This option has also been popular in the A4 forum over the last couple of years. Make sure you buy the type specifically formulated for cleaning the paint prior to polish and wax (Meguiar's sells a kit containing both the clay as well as the Quick Detailer spray that should be used as a lubricant along with it). I have used both standard chemical cleaners (from Meguiar's and Mother's) as well as clay (again, from the same brands) and am astounded by the performance of the clay. If used properly, you can clean an entire car in half the time of chemical cleaners and leave the paint feeling glassy smooth.
Old 11-21-2001, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default One word...Zaino...use it...love it...live it

<ul><li><a href="http://www.zainobros.com">http://www.zainobros.com</a</li></ul>
Old 11-21-2001, 09:40 AM

www.carcareonline.com
Old 11-21-2001, 09:44 AM

Default I'm sorry, I was thinking Zymol...

I should have thought twice before I posted... I just bought Lexol and it was on my mind. My friend uses Zymol on his BMW and seems to like it.

AaronG79, I think I'll try Zaino, but I don't think I've seen it around.

Again, sorry... : )
Old 11-21-2001, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Highly recommend Griots(.com) as well...

In fact they actually compliment other products. When I feel like using a liquid wax I first use Griots hand polish (actually every 6 month I use their clay bar as the first step). Then the Best of Show liquid wax.

When I want a slightly "thicker" wax protection I do the hand polish or 3M IHG first then I use 1 Grand Blitz wax (it's a paste wax). The depth to the Blitz is just a bit deeper, but it takes more work to COMPLETELY polish out. It seems to haze easier is you're not thorough enough. The BoS wax is more forgiving about hazing.

Oh, and the Griots wash soap is by far the best out there (I hear Sonax is damn good to though). It smells great and NEVER strips wax, but cleans really well. And their Speed Shine quick detailer is by far the best of that product I've tried (all the Maguires and Mothers products).
Old 11-21-2001, 09:47 AM

Default Which one for new cars?

Do the metallic adorned Audi's have clear coat?
Old 11-21-2001, 10:47 AM

Default Re: One word...Zaino...use it...love it...live it

So you are saying,

1) wash the car with water and, Z-7 SHOW CAR WASH. (My car is 3 days old but has some dirt from rain)

2) dry the car with paper towel or shamy(?)

3) put Z-1 on

4) put Z-5 on s. marks and lines.

5) put Z-2 on the rest of the car.

Should I wait (how long) or can should I do it now?
Old 11-21-2001, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My BB A4 will see only 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and Griots Best of Show wax.

What did you decide to do for tires?

Quick Reply: How to care for the paint?