A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

How much to change water pump, just the water pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 05:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much to change water pump, just the water pump

I just bought an Audi with 88k. Looks like they did all the services on the car. Belt were changed on time but no record of changing the water pump. How much is it to get the water pump replaced. Im buying the water pump off eBay for $45 brand new.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

it's not much less than a full TB service - it's all in the labor
Old 05-05-2006, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So still around 600
Old 05-05-2006, 06:36 AM

Default Yeah labor is gonna be much of the same...I just had my TB done and..

To do the waterpump they said it was two extra bolts to remove....so its pretty much the same job essentially..
Old 05-05-2006, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

as you said it's 2 (actually 3) bolts extra to get the WP out
Old 05-05-2006, 07:03 AM

Default and 1.5 liters of coolant ...

The water pump is driven by the timing belt. To replace the water pump, you have to take the timing belt off. So you're all the way in, exactly the same work. While you're there, you remove the 3 bolts that hold the pump in, pull it out (spilling some coolant), pop in a new one and continue with putting everything back together, remembering to put some coolant back in at the end.

That's why many people change it when they do the belt.

If the water pump bearing fails, it usually takes the timing belt with it, bending valves and causing havoc with the top end of your motor. You need to trust your water pump - this isn't a part I'd source from Joe Blow on eBay unless I was _sure_ of what he was sending me.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Is the B6 1.8T one of the few cars in the world that drive the WP with the timing belt on a "zero clearance " engine .. Are other newer Audi's this way too ?? Sure does make sense to always do both WP and timing belt together....What was Audi thinking to locate the WP behind TB, and worse yet, drive it w/ TB ???? on a zero cl engine...engine disaster just waiting to happen .so few of all cars designed this way ...

Last edited by michael ostrowski; 08-01-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I personally have never heard of doing a TB without the water pump also. Maybe it was done on yours? Is it starting to leak?

I've had bad experiences with the OEM water pumps, which have plastic impellers. On a 55k Passat, the impeller shattered, and took $3k worth of engine work with it. 2 years ago, I bought a 51k '04 Passat. I changed the TB because it was almost 15 years old - turns out it was fine, but the plastic impeller was already throwing off pieces.

Moral of my story, get a good aftermarket pump with a metal impeller.

​​​
Old 07-28-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by michael ostrowski
Is the B6 1.8T one of the few cars in the world that drive the WP with the timing belt on a "zero clearance " engine .. Are other newer Audi's this way too ?? Sure does make sense to always do both WP and timing belt together.
The 3.0 V6 also has a TB driven pump and is an interference engine, the difference being that the V6's pump pulley is smooth, being driven by the back side of the belt. The later 3.2 has chain driven cams, so the pump is not belt driven. Which brings up the question of what engine the OP actually has, and why he suspects that the pump wasn't changed with the rest of the TB system, which is routine for any decent mechanic.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by W261w261
I personally have never heard of doing a TB without the water pump also. Maybe it was done on yours? Is it starting to leak?

I've had bad experiences with the OEM water pumps, which have plastic impellers. On a 55k Passat, the impeller shattered, and took $3k worth of engine work with it. 2 years ago, I bought a 51k '04 Passat. I changed the TB because it was almost 15 years old - turns out it was fine, but the plastic impeller was already throwing off pieces.

Moral of my story, get a good aftermarket pump with a metal impeller.

​​​
Where is best place to get the timing belt kit? which water pump is the best to use far as brand? I want to do this right the 1st time and not one to skip on parts because of price. 2004 Audi A4 1.8t has 105k miles on it, so it's time for timing belt kit replacement, any info on where the best place to get parts is very much appreciated.

Quick Reply: How much to change water pump, just the water pump