A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Humming Sound - Fuel Pump?

Old 05-31-2009, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming Sound - Fuel Pump?

Greetings everyone,

I have a 2004 A4 USP 1.8T that just turned 40k miles.

A couple of weeks ago a relatively high-pitched humming sound was coming from the rear of the car. It wasn't constant - it would go on for about 10 seconds and then off. The it WOULD stay on for a while. It got so annoying that I turned my stereo up and after a period of time it disappeared completely.

Now it's back. The car starts up fine each time and I don't notice any hesitation on acceleration. Basically, it drives fine except for the noise.

So, is this a dying fuel pump? And does anyone know if this would be covered under the 2-year certified pre-owned warranty?

Many thanks in advance!

-Fernando Montes
Old 05-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Skirunner
Greetings everyone,

I have a 2004 A4 USP 1.8T that just turned 40k miles.

A couple of weeks ago a relatively high-pitched humming sound was coming from the rear of the car. It wasn't constant - it would go on for about 10 seconds and then off. The it WOULD stay on for a while. It got so annoying that I turned my stereo up and after a period of time it disappeared completely.

Now it's back. The car starts up fine each time and I don't notice any hesitation on acceleration. Basically, it drives fine except for the noise.

So, is this a dying fuel pump? And does anyone know if this would be covered under the 2-year certified pre-owned warranty?

Many thanks in advance!

-Fernando Montes
I also have a 2004 1.8T certified car. it was making a similar sound, i also suspected the fuel pump. I was correct, it was replaced under the certified warranty, but the fuel filter that also needed to be replaced, was not.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

It does sound like your fuel pump and should be covered under warranty. A few of us here have had this noise before. Usually it is the fuel filter that's clogged and causing strain on the pump. I'd replace the fuel filter first and see if the noise comes back.

If the fuel pump dies while you're driving somewhere, you'll need a tow. I'd either have the dealer check it out or request that the fuel filter be changed asap.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I recently had the same problem on my 2005 A4 USP.

Took it to an independent, and they said replace the fuel filter first.

That took care of the problem.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

what side of the car is the humming noise coming from?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by aprb6a41.8t
what side of the car is the humming noise coming from?
The car hasn't made the noise in a couple of days, but I'll check this out when and if it does.

Thanks for everyone's help!!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, Im from the UK and getting some sort of humming noise.

Cant find any information on it here in the UK and came across lots of fuel pump related stuff here.

Not sure its the pump or filter on mine, but between 2.5 - 3k revs i get a hum, like blowing over a beer bottle and it can last for a couple of seconds, sometimes if i hold the revs it the noise will stay. Mines a 2004 A4 1.8T quattro tiptronic.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Gadge,

I would start with a fuel filter, yours may be clogged. They aren't costly nor hard to replace. From there, if the noise is still constant you may want to address your fuel pump. We carry everything you may need, feel free to pm me.

Here is a link to fuel filters.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 12-12-2010, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Pete@ECSTuning
Gadge,

I would start with a fuel filter, yours may be clogged. They aren't costly nor hard to replace. From there, if the noise is still constant you may want to address your fuel pump. We carry everything you may need, feel free to pm me.

Here is a link to fuel filters.
I get a whirring/buzzing noise from the petrol tank area even if the car is not running.

Same fuel filter/pump problem?

Surely it's gonna kill my battery if it keeps whirring?

(A4, 2.0, saloon, 2002)
Old 12-13-2010, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

When you say not running, I assume you mean with the key in and the ignition on, correct? With the key in, the fuel pump is powered. I assume you read this below, but the fuel pump on the sedan / saloon is under the rear passenger seat. I would start with the filter as noted below. It solved the pump noise I was having on a Mercedes with just a filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Humming Sound - Fuel Pump?