A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Humming Sound - Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsaipe
I get a whirring/buzzing noise from the petrol tank area even if the car is not running.

Same fuel filter/pump problem?

Surely it's gonna kill my battery if it keeps whirring?

(A4, 2.0, saloon, 2002)
It may do this briefly when you put the key in the ignition, as it is pressurizing the system.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 12-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

its the filter.

The pump WILL NOT make noise when its "bad", Your car just won't start.
Actually, The pump makes noise all the time. You just can't hear it cause the seat muffles the sound
Old 09-21-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default ***High Pitched Humming Noise FIX!***

Originally Posted by Skirunner
Greetings everyone,

I have a 2004 A4 USP 1.8T that just turned 40k miles.

A couple of weeks ago a relatively high-pitched humming sound was coming from the rear of the car. It wasn't constant - it would go on for about 10 seconds and then off. The it WOULD stay on for a while. It got so annoying that I turned my stereo up and after a period of time it disappeared completely.

Now it's back. The car starts up fine each time and I don't notice any hesitation on acceleration. Basically, it drives fine except for the noise.

So, is this a dying fuel pump? And does anyone know if this would be covered under the 2-year certified pre-owned warranty?

Many thanks in advance!

-Fernando Montes

I own a 2004 Audi a4 1.8T. The noise started out quite then grew louder and more intense over a few months especially when it was hotter outside. (Not sure if the heat had anything to do with it). Anyway I took a look at the fuel filter and I noticed the file line that is used to connect to the filter is kinked! There are four limes that connect to the filter, two going in and two going out. CHECK all four of the lines for kinks! This will cause back pressure for the fuel pump and cause it to whine or emit the high pitched humming noise. Some of the lines can not be un-kinked due to the material the line is made of and must be replaced. I had to buy 3/8s rubber fuel line form O'rileys and then hose clamps from Wal-Mart to put on each end of the 3/8s rubber fuel line to tighten down on the existing line then to to the filter. ONCE THIS IS COMPLETE check and see if the noise is gone. If not fully gone or gone at all then replace the fuel filter. I bought the cheapest one from Amazon for 31 bucks and free shipping. Made in China but who cares. This should be all you need to do. If the noise is still there! Then it's your fuel pump. But I just did the first two steps for my car and it works great and it perfoms much better now that it is getting proper fuel flow. Hope this helped.