A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

My exhaust pipe fell off today on the interstate.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My exhaust pipe fell off today on the interstate.

Has that happened to anyone? It looks like it just disconnected from the manifold. It was still connected in the back. Anybody have any idea what might cause that? I rigged it back up with some wire so it wouldn't drag and drove another 100 miles that way back to Boston. Is there something I should/could have done to prevent that from happening? I was cruising at about 80mph when it happened. Not doing anything special.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

How many miles are on the car? You were driving to Boston so I am assuming that you live in the Northeast. I live in Connecticut so that good ol' salt and sand mix in the wintertime does wonders for anything metallic on our cars (i.e. massive corrosion which could eventually lead to your exhaust pipe falling off when traversing the simplest of bumps in the road.)
Old 08-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
How many miles are on the car? You were driving to Boston so I am assuming that you live in the Northeast. I live in Connecticut so that good ol' salt and sand mix in the wintertime does wonders for anything metallic on our cars (i.e. massive corrosion which could eventually lead to your exhaust pipe falling off when traversing the simplest of bumps in the road.)
I've got 89,000 miles on it. And yeah I've been in the NE now for a few years. Actually the entire time I've had the car I've done a lot of winter driving on heavily salted roads. Perhaps that was it. The thing that struck me as odd was I was just cruising down a flat stretch of interstate when happened. I wondered if perhaps there was some other underlying cause that I should be worried about. I guess I'll find out more when I take it to the shop.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This happened to my remus exhaustes (both). I think mine was a bad weld at the muffler. It was pretty scary becasue both time then muffler was jsut dngling on the highway. This happend one my way to Stamford, and the other on a trip to Boston. I just had an exhaust shop weld it back on and add another support bracket.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Turns out I need to replace the downpipe. Should I just upgrade it since it needs to be replaced? Does that make sense or would it be a waste of money without any other modifications. I see most people doing a downpipe/FMIC upgrade at the same time.

Any suggestions on what I should go with for a new downpipe?
Old 09-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It snapped off at the flexible part of the downpipe. There is some mounting point for the exhaust near the mid muffler which I guess snapped off (who knows when) so the entire weight of the exhaust was pulling on the downpipe, which eventually caused it to fail. I had it replaced with a DP from Techtonics because it actually was the same price as the stock DP that the shop was going to order from the dealer.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default my flex pipe just went as well

I have a 2003 A4 1.8T, lots of clicks though - almost 210,000km. I look at the flex pipe as almost a wear and tear part so that other things aren't damaged.

One problem though - I can't find a new aftermarket flex pipe, and dealer wants $380+tax for entire 2' headerpipe (with flex pipe in middle), while I only really need the 5" long flex pipe. Old one could be cut out and new one welded in?

Any ideas what exact inner/outer diameter I would need as to not reduce performance, or is it worth it to upgrade to something different? I don't want to spend a lot of money, but if I can get something for $500 and it'll be a significant performance upgrade as well, I would do that.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ahhh i think its the bolts that tighten the cat to your downpipe.