A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Oil sludge...continued

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil sludge...continued

Some of you have responded to my oil sludge issue.
I have had repeated incidents of the oil pressure light coming on, but no problem with performance.
After 3 weeks in the shop, the dealer is now saying its oil sludge. However, they are not replacing the engine. Just an oil tube? It is supposed to be installed in a few hours.
Is that normal, or oil sludge? Most I have read have had entire new engines.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:03 PM

you should be getting a new engine or have a regional tech take apart the entire engine
Old 01-12-2005, 04:07 PM

Default your case seems minor compared to mine. you mention "no problems with performance"...

as compared to me, i initially lost all boost on my car, then the engine literally died on me. comparing your oil sludge problem to mine is one extreme to the other, hence why i did get a whole NEW engine and turbo.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: your case seems minor compared to mine. you mention "no problems with performance"...

True, I have had no performance issues. But I have had to take it in the garage 4 times for the same problem. I cannot believe they couldn't find anything earlier. And this last time, it's been 3 weeks!!!!
AoA treated me like crap. Supposedly, my local garage was in touch with AoA throughout the entire 3 weeks.
Checking for oil sludge was a last-ditch effort before the dealer was going to put me into a new car.
After 4 trips to the garage for the same issue, how can I have any confidence in the car? Or the garage? Or Audi?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:18 PM

Default There are a couple repairs for the condition you've mentioned...

your condition is fairly minor, and that repair is all that is required to fix the pressure issue....
Old 01-12-2005, 04:21 PM

Default if the problem persists, then start complaining more.....

As stated above, the "tube replacement" is a common fix for the problem....because of the heat from the turbo causes breakdown of oil in this tube, and it essentially "gums up" and collects here....new tube, new oil and you should be just fine.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: your case seems minor compared to mine. you mention "no problems with performance"...

I would agree, my symptoms are minor. "Just" the oil pressure light. No performance issues.
But WHY did it take 4 different trips over 2 years, and 3 within the last two monthes, and this last time 3 weeks to think it might be a sludge issue?
Old 01-12-2005, 05:39 PM

just wait, your engine will die too. Mine is getting a whole new engine as we speak.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Late to discussion and have no background but I assume you have '02 or '03

since I see no sharkfin, and that you don't fall under lemon law. I tend to doubt it's a sludge problem after all those times to the shop. My dealer reputedly finds the sludge the first time. Maybe a short in instrument cluster? In any case, it's terrible service that needs to be documented in writing and verified that AoA knows about it, i.e. a case number
Old 01-12-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Late to discussion and have no background but I assume you have '02 or '03

Paul...I have an 2002 A4 1.8 Turbo.
I have been on the phone with AoA, and they say "we stand by our dealers and their service. if you don't like it, go to another dealer."
I am as upset with AoA on this issue as my dealer.
Do I have a lemon law case?
I would not doubt an electrical issue, either. One time, my radio would not shut off. I have also heard weird beeping noises when I first start the car on cold mornings.
I just find 4 trips to the garage for the SAME problem unacceptable.
I took it in early December for trip No. 3, and they completely blew it off, saying it might have been a little low on oil.
Problem is, they can never get the light to come on after I take it in. Incident No. 4, I drove it to the garage with the oil light flashing, and made sure they saw it. They did not look at it for 3 days. And all they kept saying was, "we can't get it to replicate the problem."
It's left a bitter taste for me.
Tomorrow will mark THREE WEEKS my car has been in the garage. Shouldn't I expect something back, besides my car?

Quick Reply: Oil sludge...continued