A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Outside Air Temp Sensor (G17) pictures?

Old 05-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outside Air Temp Sensor (G17) pictures?

Does anyone have an pics of where this sensor is supposed to be located? I did a search but all of the previous pictures were lost with the forum software upgrade. Mine is reading short to plus. I have a general idea of where it is located but so far I haven't found it.

Thank you
Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's behind the front bumper held by a bracket near the driver's side of the A/C condenser.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hrm. Mine must have been relocated when a previous owner installed the larger intercooler. I assume it plugs into the wiring harness somewhere near there? There is definitely one hooked up somewhere in my car. I suspect it is sitting somewhere that is heated by the engine since it constantly reads 10 to 15 deg higher than the ambient air temp.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:55 AM

It's the little sensor that is above the power steering cooling hardline in the pic. About the size of a tube of chapstick. Look off on the driver's side of the car for it. The end is open with (IIRC) three prongs that hold it in place when it snaps through a round bracket.

Sorry this is the best pic I could find in five minutes of looking. It is from www.a4mods.com

Old 05-05-2009, 05:00 AM

More pics:

The bracket with the hole:
Old 05-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. Those pictures are helpful. Of course my sensor is no where near there. I haven't located it yet. It has to be located somewhere on the other side of the radiator since there is no wire coming through there like it does in that picture. I have a B5 that has the sensor so hopefully after work I will have time to go and try and trace to where that one is plugged in and then compare on the B6.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I finally found the end of the wire that used to hold that sensor. It looks like it came out of the bracket and ended up dangling in the road (the plastic belly pan is missing) and the sensor and a good portion of the wire got torn off. The bit that is left is full of water. Any idea what the part number is for the wire? I believe the sensor part number is 8Z0 820 535. I haven't manage to trace the wire all the way back to where it plugs into the rest of the harness yet. I figure I can do that once I get the bumper cover off when I replace it.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Turns out in the B6 the no longer use the pigtail on the sensor to connect to the wiring harness. It connects to a much larger and more expensive harness that connects to just about everything in that corner of the engine compartment. I decided to buy the part for the B5 and install the connector and pigtail on the end of the wire that remains.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

on the b5 the probe is mounted behind the front bumper at the bottom
Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Once the wire leaves the sensor where exactly does it route to and end up? I've snapped the wire and want to see if I can solder it or replace it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Outside Air Temp Sensor (G17) pictures?