AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b6-platform-discussion-34/)
-   -   Please Help...When crusing above 80 MPH, my front end starts to shake. I have searched the forum but (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b6-platform-discussion-34/please-help-when-crusing-above-80-mph-my-front-end-starts-shake-i-have-searched-forum-but-2374920/)

B56 03-07-2007 08:00 AM

Please Help...When crusing above 80 MPH, my front end starts to shake. I have searched the forum but

no mention of speed related vibration issues.

My car has 44000 miles on it. I am riding on KW V3 coilovers and the front height is about 25.5 inches ground to fender. Some of my symptoms include the following:

1 Clicking upon hard acceleration-This happened a few times last summer but not recently. This would indicate a bad CV joint?

2 a very light hum at cruising speeds on certain roads but not often- this could indicate a bad wheel bearing but it could also be from my GY F1 gs d3 tires. I don't think this is related to my high speed shaking issue.

3 When i turn the wheel full left or full right while backing out of a spot on an incline I hear some thunking sound which would also indicate a bad CV.

The shaking is not engine speed related but vehicle speed. Over 80 mph and mostly in 5th gear. The steering wheel feels loose and the front end shakes.

I have moved the rear wheels to the front and the problem still persists. So the chances of an unbalanced wheels is unlikely.

Can a bad CV damage an axel which in turn would cause this vibration? If I remeber correctly, my cv boots looked ok. The car only has 44000 on it??

Also I have NOT gotten an alignment since my coilover install last december. Could this be related?

I am over my 4 year warranty period but am under 50000 miles. What should I be prepared for when I get the call from the service dept. tomorrow?

I appreciate any insight you all may have...

MB The Body 03-07-2007 08:34 AM

it could be something simple like a wheel weight fell off causing you to be out of balance

B56 03-07-2007 08:38 AM

I switched front to rears and rear to front, still get the shakes

I think their is a more serious underlying problem

quattrothatcould 03-07-2007 08:41 AM

You had an alignment done after the C/O install correct?

Realign, maybe the tires need to be rebalanced.

quickhuh 03-07-2007 08:45 AM

could be a thrown belt in the tire also?

you can go to a higher end tire shop and the can road force test it to check that stuff

B56 03-07-2007 09:27 AM

No I did not

Tgr_Clw 03-07-2007 10:05 AM

Why not??? Go get an alignment.

quattrothatcould 03-07-2007 10:25 AM

Yeah that is the reason. I'm almost positive. Go get an alignment...

You should have one after every suspension upgrade. Get one and report back, i bet the problem will be gone

Tgr_Clw 03-07-2007 10:48 AM

It can be too late for these tires already. If the alignment was off (most likely)...

they've already worn incorrectly.