A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Problem: Radio works, No Sound (Bose)

Old 05-23-2011, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem: Radio works, No Sound (Bose)

So I've searched around these and other forums and can't seem to find anything similar to the problem I'm having.

My radio turns on, says it's playing, even tells me what song is playing, but I get no sound at all out of any of my speakers. I switch to the CD player or tape deck with my phone hooked up to a cassette adapter and I still get zero sound. This problem started a couple months ago, but finally has gotten to the point where my radio barely ever works.

The first time it happened is when I took off my coat, which was sparking against sweater as I took it off, and threw my coat down on the ground when it brushed, and sparked a little, against the wire hooked up to my cassette adapter, which was plugged into my tape deck. Strange I know, but that seemed exactly the time this problem started.

What's weird is that the problem used to fix itself after a few minutes. Leave the radio off for ten minutes and then it worked again. But now I'm lucky if I get any sound at all out of my speakers on a long trip.

Has anyone heard of an issue like this before? Anyone have any idea what it could be?

I'm thinking it could be something as simple as a fuse, but the radio itself works, it's just a problem with the speakers. So now I'm thinking it's a problem with one, or both, of my amplifiers. Is there a breaker type thing, or maybe a fuse, on the amps themselves? Is there anything else about the amps that could be tripping? Could my amps be shot? Would I get sound out of any speakers if just one of my amps had an issue? Is there anything internal, or on the back of the radio that could be responsible for sound only?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer,

- BoostHungry
Old 05-24-2011, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

This will sound strange, but the radio in mine did this same thing. I knew I had a bad harness in the driver's door and was suspicious that it was somehow shorting the speaker system (maybe the amp?) out. Next to go was my side mirrors "melted" (glass heater run amok and melted the coating) and then the car alarm stopped setting. I decided I could not put it off any more. Swapped the harness and have not had the speaker problem since.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That is strange. The only issue I have with my driver side door is that my window master control switch will not roll my back passenger window down, only up, and even that's iffy. But I assumed it was a problem with just that switch.

By harness you mean the wiring harness for the driver side door? Aren't those wires solid all the way to the ECU? Or do you mean the electronic box looking thing in the door that all the wiring harnesses plug into?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Door harness. There is a disconnect in the door jamb with a rubber boot over it and it has a bad habit of breaking. Take a look at the link below. As I said, I had some really odd stuff going on including intermittent radio on but no sound. Have a look before you start shotgunning radio parts.

http://www.audigeeks.com/forums/inde...20763#msg20763
Old 02-11-2016, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi TT Radio no sound

Open the drivers door and at the side of the steering wheel there is a large cover side of the dash which holds the fuses. In there is the "ampliphier fuse" take out and check sometimes its just needs a bit of movement
Old 11-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BoostHungry
So I've searched around these and other forums and can't seem to find anything similar to the problem I'm having.

My radio turns on, says it's playing, even tells me what song is playing, but I get no sound at all out of any of my speakers. I switch to the CD player or tape deck with my phone hooked up to a cassette adapter and I still get zero sound. This problem started a couple months ago, but finally has gotten to the point where my radio barely ever works.

The first time it happened is when I took off my coat, which was sparking against sweater as I took it off, and threw my coat down on the ground when it brushed, and sparked a little, against the wire hooked up to my cassette adapter, which was plugged into my tape deck. Strange I know, but that seemed exactly the time this problem started.

What's weird is that the problem used to fix itself after a few minutes. Leave the radio off for ten minutes and then it worked again. But now I'm lucky if I get any sound at all out of my speakers on a long trip.

Has anyone heard of an issue like this before? Anyone have any idea what it could be?

I'm thinking it could be something as simple as a fuse, but the radio itself works, it's just a problem with the speakers. So now I'm thinking it's a problem with one, or both, of my amplifiers. Is there a breaker type thing, or maybe a fuse, on the amps themselves? Is there anything else about the amps that could be tripping? Could my amps be shot? Would I get sound out of any speakers if just one of my amps had an issue? Is there anything internal, or on the back of the radio that could be responsible for sound only?

- BoostHungry
Can anyone tell me if these wiring harnesses are compatible
8e1971029b and 8e1971035cj?
Old 11-28-2016, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have this no sound issue and am working on the problem today. Took out the AMP in the RR quarter, it is the large black extruded aluminum one but will try the fuse clean up trick.

Does anyone know if the B5 amps (which physically look the same) will work in replacement for the 2002 MY cars?
Old 03-16-2021, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lyleswk
This will sound strange, but the radio in mine did this same thing. I knew I had a bad harness in the driver's door and was suspicious that it was somehow shorting the speaker system (maybe the amp?) out. Next to go was my side mirrors "melted" (glass heater run amok and melted the coating) and then the car alarm stopped setting. I decided I could not put it off any more. Swapped the harness and have not had the speaker problem since.

What door harness did you have to replace? I just bought a 05 a4 and radio works sometimes passanger mirror is melted and alarm don't work lmao
Old 07-12-2021, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Bose wave Radio No sound

Originally Posted by BoostHungry

- BoostHungry
Bose Wave Radio

I don’t no if this is germane but I have Bose Wave Radio. The major problem is the EXTERNAL SOUND. Invariably it doesn’t play.
ive sent it 3 times to Bose for service. So since I like the design & sound when it works I decided to do it myself. Bose stuff is from China.. First problem… It’s basically a piece of junk if your really into great music systems.
Second problem: Customer Service is terrible.
So anyways. I’d turn on jazz station NO SOUND. Ok, I’d plug in a headphone I CAN HEAR SOUND. So by plugging in the headphone into Jack & pulling it out it started to play, invariably choppy.. then when it quits I take tip of headphone cord & touch other jacks.
Voila! It plays. Sometimes 5 minutes, sometime 20 minutes, sometime 20 seconds. The internal parts need overhauled. I can get it completely overhauled not by Bose, but a real service company, but I’d rather buy a more quality system. It’s a piece of junk..& Bose doesn’t seem to care.. I might be able to troubleshoot it better.. but any vibration can turn it off..