A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Problems after disconnecting battery. ( car wont drive)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 03:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems after disconnecting battery. ( car wont drive)

Hi there. Sorry if this has been discussed before but i coudent find the same issues im experiancing.

yesterday i changed air flow meter as had been told buy a garage that it was the cause of the engine light being on. Symptoms seemed correct aswell.

got a new aiflow meter and changed no issue. Disconnected the battery to clear that fault.

Now the engine light is not long lit. But instead the ESC light is on. ( the /!\ mark in a triangle with a circle around it. )
The PRND is flashing and the car wont rev or drive. The revs pulse on tick over) cant even get it off the drive way to see if the problem goes after a few minutes.

I think its a computer problem since disconnecting the battery, as the car would drive before i did this.

If anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks J
Old 12-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Add to that.
Just started it again and now the engine light has come back on again aswell as ESC. Tried putting the old airflow meter back in to rule that out and still same issue.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Disconnecting the battery will not clear faults. It may create faults, but won't clear them. As far as the reason it is not running, you need to get a code reader and determine what the problem is. Guessing problems on modern cars results in lots of part swapping.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Something got disconnected I suspect. Try removing and re-connecting the throttle body harness connector, also use electrical contact cleaner spray on the pins/receptacles. I do this as a matter of routine anyway about once per year, on every accessible connector (including ground wire connections).
Old 12-08-2018, 08:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Think have got to the bottom of it.

Seems to be a dodgy earth connection in the MAF sensor connector. Could also have been in the throttle body connector aswell as both share an earth as far as im aware.

Thanks for the advice.

Onto the next problem haha.
leaking oil!
Old 12-22-2018, 12:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Problem is back!!!

after cutting the bent wires to air flow meter and soldering them directly into the connector so i knew was a good connection. The car ran real good. Better than before, And then about 4 days later having not touched any wires or anything. Car would start no issue, but wont rev again.

I think the throttle body sensor and the MAF share the same earth so thats my next port of call. But i have read something about the brake pedal position switch having a part in not allowing car to rev.

Any one know anymore on this issue.

Thank you for your help.
Im close to sending it to the wreckies even tho i love the car.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

This is time for a code reader capable of checking the throttle position. For instance, with VCDS, the throttle angle % should change smoothly as the throttle pedal is moved. I'll bet that your throttle is not responding to the pedal. Also, I've noticed that the pedal has dual potentiometers, which are arranged "backwards", so that as the resistance of one increases the other decreased. You should watch to see that both are behaving correctly.