A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Secondary Air Injection- Pump Functional but Not Turning on When Car is Started

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary Air Injection- Pump Functional but Not Turning on When Car is Started

I've been trying for months to track down a PO411 code in the wife's '03 1.8t. In the process I have replace the kombi valve, the secondary air pump and most of the lines connecting the two. I've also replaced the 40 amp fuse for the air pump. The lines I haven't replaced I inspected and don't see any holes/damage.

I'd taken the car to The Auto Clinic in Irvine and they thought the new SAI pump I got from ECS was bad. I just removed the pump and connected it to a 12V battery and confirmed there is nothing wrong with it.

I've combed through the forums and everyone seems to have had their SAI problems solved by following the steps I mentioned. I'm looking for help as to what I should try next. I don't have a VAG-COM but will buy one if need be.

The car runs fine and we just need to get it smogged. All I need is to have the check engine light off to pass. It usually comes on after 50 miles of driving.

We've had the car since new and it has 185,000 miles on it. We still love it and want to keep it. Please help! Thanks in advance....
Old 07-28-2014, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

According to tross-tech wiki, 401 aims you to the EGR system. not sure the issue is wiht the SAI. Since you have changed the combi valve, are you sure the 2 or 3 one way valves are all working?

16785/P0401/001025 - Ross-Tech Wiki
Old 07-28-2014, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'm actually getting a PO411 not PO401. I looked up the PO411 and it said-

Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty
Hoses/Pipes to/between Components faulty/clogged
Secondary Air Injection Pump (V101) faulty
Secondary Air Injection Pump Relay (J299) faulty
Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112) faulty

16795/P0411/001041 - Ross-Tech Wiki

It looks like the SAI Relay and the Solenoid Valve are the next items to check.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lyleswk
According to tross-tech wiki, 401 aims you to the EGR system. not sure the issue is wiht the SAI. Since you have changed the combi valve, are you sure the 2 or 3 one way valves are all working?

16785/P0401/001025 - Ross-Tech Wiki
....I swore Iv posted this before. 1.8T cars do not have EGR. the EGR is on 2.8's ONLY.

If your SAI pump wont run in the morning but it works, the pump relay is located in the ECU box under the wipers. I have replaced them before for no pump running

Last edited by Prospeeder; 07-28-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I understand the 1.8t don't have an EGR system like most cars, but Audi does have to account for engine gas recirc somehow to satisfy ODB requirements, else he wouldn't be getting that code and the code is trying tell him something separate (intake side) from the SAI (exhaust side). I believe the Audi system monitors the function of the pancake valve and all the plumbing to include the one way valves in this same vacumm plumbing. I know they are prone to deteriorate and cause codes and am just suggesting he look at them.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lyleswk
I understand the 1.8t don't have an EGR system like most cars, but Audi does have to account for engine gas recirc somehow to satisfy ODB requirements, else he wouldn't be getting that code and the code is trying tell him something separate (intake side) from the SAI (exhaust side). I believe the Audi system monitors the function of the pancake valve and all the plumbing to include the one way valves in this same vacumm plumbing. I know they are prone to deteriorate and cause codes and am just suggesting he look at them.
His code is SAI code not EGR, you looked up the wrong code and are throwing EGR stuff out there for no reason. EGR is not required for anything and is not even close to what this system does. If the engine makes acceptable NOX emissions then no EGR is needed. The way these are monitored to determine function of the SAI is during hot idle, it turns on the pump and opens the valve and watches if the oxygen sensors report a sudden super lean condition in the exhaust. if it does, system works. If it doesnt, then engine light on after 2 cycles of seeing nothing happen when the pump is turned on.

I dunno where your getting this intake side exhaust side SAI crap. Theres one SAI fault. Secondary Air Injection Incorrect Flow P0411. Thats it. Theres nothing specific there, just the systems reporting its not working. Your making this whole deal more complicated than the system really is.

Here let me educate you on the difference in SAI and EGR

EGR = Exhaust gas re circulation Exhaust gasses are introduced into the intake to be reburned by the engine to lower combustion temperatures and lower NOX emissions.

SAI = Secondary Air Injection pushes fresh air into the exhaust during cold start to quickly warm up the catalytic converters.

Pretty cut and dry, they have NOTHING to do with eachother, and are not similar in any way.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 07-29-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Oops, skimmed over the thread and missed that post. Sorry and disregard all my blathering