A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Serial Number - Track Age - Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:22 PM
tcg
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serial Number - Track Age - Water Pump

I have a water pump for an A4 3.0L engine and I am trying to determine how old it is. There are some part # and/or serial # on the piece. Does anyone know how to trace these numbers to determine the pump's age?
The number is: 06C.121019

Also, does anyone know how to determine the warranty (duration/mileage) for a water pump?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcg
I have a water pump for an A4 3.0L engine and I am trying to determine how old it is. There are some part # and/or serial # on the piece. Does anyone know how to trace these numbers to determine the pump's age?
The number is: 06C.121019

Also, does anyone know how to determine the warranty (duration/mileage) for a water pump?
You can get an idea of the pump age by looking at the casting clock on the pump body.If the pump has the Audi four ring logo and an Audi part number you may have an original pump or a dealer service pump. Most independent shops use aftermarket water pumps like Hepu or Graf. Are you trying to decide if the pump is still serviceable?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:47 AM
tcg
AudiWorld Newcomer

My water pump does have the Audi logo, and what appears to be either a part number, or a serial number. I am sure it an OEM part. I am trying to figure out it's AGE, given this number. I believe that the dealer charged me $2200 to replace water pump, timing belt, etc. at 95,000 miles... but the didn't do the work. The pump failed after only 14 months (just my luck... out of warranty).

Any idea of these pumps have a history of failing so soon? It's costing me thousands in repair.

Either way, thank you so much for your response and thoughts.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tcg
My water pump does have the Audi logo, and what appears to be either a part number, or a serial number. I am sure it an OEM part. I am trying to figure out it's AGE, given this number. I believe that the dealer charged me $2200 to replace water pump, timing belt, etc. at 95,000 miles... but the didn't do the work. The pump failed after only 14 months (just my luck... out of warranty).

Any idea of these pumps have a history of failing so soon? It's costing me thousands in repair.

Either way, thank you so much for your response and thoughts.
You should be able to see the last two digits of the production year cast into
a circular casting "clock" on the defective water pump that was removed.
Depending on the year model of your 3.0l A4 an original pump would have
either a 01,02 03, or maybe 04 in the center of the casting clock circle. A newer pump would have a much later date. Also an original pump with over 100,000 miles of service would be very "scruffy" looking with rust and road grime build up.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:48 AM
tcg
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Peter Badore
You should be able to see the last two digits of the production year cast into
a circular casting "clock" on the defective water pump that was removed.
Depending on the year model of your 3.0l A4 an original pump would have
either a 01,02 03, or maybe 04 in the center of the casting clock circle. A newer pump would have a much later date. Also an original pump with over 100,000 miles of service would be very "scruffy" looking with rust and road grime build up.
Peter,

Thank you for you comments. I looked at the pump fin again and found the clock and it has "02" in the center of it. I can send you a picture, if interested.

Do you have any idea WHERE I can find concrete documetation that this casting clock stamp is, in fact, a date stamp?

Thanks,
TC
Old 06-08-2011, 06:17 AM
tcg
AudiWorld Newcomer

I uploaded a picture of the water pump and year casting bulls-eys. Hard to believe that a part made in 2002 was put on my car, that was maintenance in 2010. Questioning whether or not the work was actually done. Anyone have a good lawyer in Delaware?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tcg
Peter,

Thank you for you comments. I looked at the pump fin again and found the clock and it has "02" in the center of it. I can send you a picture, if interested.

Do you have any idea WHERE I can find concrete documetation that this casting clock stamp is, in fact, a date stamp?

Thanks,
TC
You could use an expert witness who is knowledgeable about automotive engineering and manufacturing documentation. A copy of VW and Audi's engineering standards would provide the specifications for dating, part numbering and serial numbering when required.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 PM
tcg
AudiWorld Newcomer

Peter... yes... this is likely what I will do. But, unsure how to find that "expert witness" and thought that it would be a more compelling case if I had the manufacturer's specification. But, the reality is, that Audi didn't make this part. I am sure it was made by a third party manufacturer FOR Audi's manufacturing plant. And, finding that detail is near impossible. I plan to talk with an attorney about it and go from there. Thanks for your thoughts.