AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b6-platform-discussion-34/)
-   -   So dealer says my CEL is saying something about Camshaft Overperformance, and the Camshaft adjusters (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b6-platform-discussion-34/so-dealer-says-my-cel-saying-something-about-camshaft-overperformance-camshaft-adjusters-2348078/)

Monster, now w/ Rice 02-10-2005 09:57 AM

So dealer says my CEL is saying something about Camshaft Overperformance, and the Camshaft adjusters

need to be replaced. They said they won't cover it under warranty because I am chipped.

Its gonna cost about $1500 to fix. Any idea how urgent it is to get them replaced. Dealer says I can keep driving on them, but I'd rather get an outside opinion.

por911 02-10-2005 10:08 AM

Camshaft adjuster

If its collapsed, then it should be replaced. You might want to consider trying that job DIY. The tensioner is $400, chain $50, and associated gaskets $25(valve cover, tensioner seals). I have not seen them outrightly fail unless there was a sludge issue, but its not out of the realm of possibility(it happens). You might have the engine type were the cams need to be pulled, which would explain the cost.

Monster, now w/ Rice 02-10-2005 10:11 AM

I'm gonna go to a private shop and see what they quote me

Yeah..the engine sludge is what I'm scared of.

The engine is a 1.8T (2004)

Jimax 02-10-2005 10:32 AM

Have them document how a chip will affect your camshaft adjusters

it's farfetched if you ask me. don't let them blindly deny your claim, make em prove how the chip directly affected this.

chuckdawg82 02-10-2005 10:35 AM

they'll need to prove the CEL is being thrown due to the...

chipping. They can only deny you warranty coverage if they have solid evidence that the camshaft problem is caused by the chip. No proof? Then they have to do it under warranty.

user 7208203 02-10-2005 10:46 AM

My cam chain tensioner failed on my 2001 Passat.

Engine was 1.8T 150 hp. I brought it in for what I thought was loose heat sheilding. A rattle in certain RPM range (about 1800 rpm). Car had about 50000 miles on it, and I did mobil 1 oil changes every 5000 miles.

They didn't mention sludge or anything, just fixed it under warranty. I think is was leaking oil, and thus wasn't able to apply hydraulic forced tension all of the time.

mcpath 02-10-2005 12:41 PM

what did it sound like?

In low rpm like idle I get a tick tick tick tick sound like running a stick against a wooden fence.

bhvrdr 02-10-2005 02:04 PM

Thats it. If you listen towards the top rear of the block (on the head towards the firewall)...

It should be coming from under there. It sounds like a plastic on metal chain ticking. Not sure what oil you are using, but i never got the noise running M1 15w-50 and just get very mild noise with the 0w-40. Not that I would recommend the 15w-50 for anything other than tropical climates. When using the Redline the noise go worse. A little noise is normal, but if yu can hear it from the passenger seat, then that's not good. cheers! Mike

bhvrdr 02-10-2005 02:16 PM

hehe...that's the difference between the law and real life. They can deny anything they want...

Unfortunately it is up to us to take them to court and prove they must either fix or reimburse. Many times this costs us more in time and money than the repairs. Life can suck, but it is the price you pay for modding. I consider my warranty voided and wouldnt let my idiot dealer work on my car regardless. cheers! Mike

Dave M 02-10-2005 03:07 PM

Yep, Audi corporate pockets > Audi owner pockets