A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Test drive impressions and questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drive impressions and questions

I'm looking to replace an early 90s Accord, and have the A4 and 3 series on my short list. Today, I took the 1.8T and 3.0 for a test drive (both quattro). Lots of traffic on a rare sunny afternoon here in Seattle, so the opportunities to really put both to their paces were somewhat limited.

I think the 3.0 is noticeably more powerful. Its character is also different. It walks quietly but carries a big stick, whereas the 1.8T likes to make its presence felt. I think I'll opt for the 3.0 (if I choose the A4), in part because of the few additional features and because I'd regret giving up a few horsepower. But really, for anything other than that occasionally empty onramp where you can nail it, there isn't much difference.

A major concern of mine is the service; there seems to be a rapid expansion in the number of cars sold, but has Audi USA really built up the dealer/service infrastructure to support it? And I'm not convinced that the cars are any more reliable than a typical VW, which ranks somewhat low. Hate to say it, but I'd trust a new BMW much more than a new Audi - that might be worth the extra cost for the same features.

One curious thing about the test drive, the salesman was very reluctant to let me drive a Passat. I was running out of time and wasn't too concerned, but it seemed odd. Perhaps he thought my more practical wife, who was present, would convince me the A4 and Passat were essentially the same, and to save the money. What do those of you who've driven both think?
Old 03-03-2002, 12:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Test drive impressions and questions

just traded in a 99 passat V6 GLS loaded, for a new A4 3.0 Q,tip,silver,platinum leather,bose,xenon,seat heat,roof. etc. while the audi has a slight edge in handeling,build quality, prestige.more power, the passat was a beautiful car. smooth,quick, a pleasure to drive, IMHO. drove it hard 3 years 0 problems.best car on the road, for the money. i like the audi too. get the V6 won't regret it.... drive a passat too. joe v.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:31 AM

Default They are the same but different

These cars are very similar, you'll see that as soon as you've sat in both. The ride of the Passat isn't nearly as sporty as the A4. It rolls around a lot more on corners, but for normal driving its still a very nice ride.

I think the Passat offers a better overall value for the amount of car you get. Its cheaper and you get more space. That said, I'm planning on going with the A4 for the following reasons:
1. The front seats of the A4, in my opinion, are much more comfortable than the Passat. The Passat offers more room around the seat but the seats themselves are smaller same as the Jetta I think. This was a big issue for me!
2. Sporty handling
3. I can get Quattro with a manual tranny(can't do that on a 4motion Passat)
4. Fold down seats with quattro (4motion only gives you a pass through)
5. Since your looking at the 3.0 A4, you will have 30 more horses than the 2.8 Passat.

If these points aren't an issue to you, consider the Passat. I might be the way to go.
Old 03-03-2002, 06:08 AM

Default Audis are enthusiasts cars.

Audis are enthusiasts cars and enthusiasts get bored with reliability. Audis are high maintenance like race horses and attractive women. Your wife is pregnant, you better sick with that Japanese car.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Audis are enthusiasts cars.

Anyone "Bored with reliability" would serve themselves well by purchasing a Kia or something in its class.
For my $ I want a somewhat classy ride and reliability.
I expect that much from German precision.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've had both a Passat 1.8T and the A4 1.8T

and must say there is a difference. The Passat had more room very good fit and finish, and the ride was soft and luxury oriented. My Passat had many problems and is the reason I moved on to the A4. I'm hoping I have less troubles with the Audi even though its a new design.

The A4 has less room and the fit and finish is outstanding. While I do not have the sport package I still feel the A4's ride is much more controlled and sportier feeling. Also there are more features available in the Audi. I don't consider myself an enthusiast and I don't race on the weekends, but I have been known to add a few mods! ;&gt

I want a car that looks good, feels good and provides a satisfying driving experience. I can only hope that the reliability is better with my A4...
Old 03-03-2002, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Audis are enthusiasts cars.

What do you mean audis are high maintance? I have an audi on order because I though they were fairly reliable cars (plus fun to drive). Say it isn't so! I am perhaps one of a dying breed that keeps a car for a long time (my 'new' car is an 86 and my 'old' car is a 71 both vws). I was hoping audi was, besides fun to drive, a reliable car .....
Old 03-03-2002, 09:18 AM

She's not pregnant! Heaven forbid!
Old 03-03-2002, 01:59 PM
Elder Member

Did either have the sports package?
Old 03-03-2002, 04:03 PM

Both did.

Quick Reply: Test drive impressions and questions