A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Thinking about buying a 2002 audi with 26kkm on it (2009)

Old 04-22-2009, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a 2002 audi with 26kkm on it (2009)

Hi,

I'm really interested in getting an Audi, but I can't afford a new one. For $17,000+taxes (maybe I could get them to go lower) I have my eye on a 2002 Audi A4 Quattro with 26,000km (not miles) on it.

Yes, this is extremely low KM. This car is in mint condition. The story behind it is that it was owned by some very rich family in a very rich part of Toronto where they probably had five or six cars sitting in a garage. They were likely cared for by some butler who seems to have brought it to Audi for maintenence on time. Though the car only has 26,000km on it, it has been serviced about seven or eight times already.

I drove the car and although I'm no car expert I didn't notice anything strange about the way the car drove. Everything felt great to me. No strange noises, no trouble changing gears (it's an automatic), the engine was smooth, etc...

Even showroom cars have scratches on them and a bit of wear and tear (especially after 8 years) but this car has nothing on it. It even still has a bit of the new car smell.

I read somewhere that the real problem with a car that hasn't been driven for a long time is that hoses and such dry out...but considering how this car drove it might be possible that "Jeeves" the butler (i don't know if jeeves really existed) took the car out once in a while to make sure it would still run well.

For comparison sake, for the same price I could probably get a 2006 A4 Quattro with about 110,000km on it, with some scratches and dings and some wear and tear on the inside of the car.

The other option is an off-lease 2006 Audi A4 3.2L V6 that's going for about $21,000+taxes. I haven't been able to drive it since they haven't finished doing body work to it but I got to see it before they did any work to it. It looks like whoever owned it was some rich kid that just banged it around a bit. There are no obvious signs of an accident but it does look like it got banged up here and there a few times. Probably backing into a pole, kicking the car, jumping on the hood, dropping a cigarette butt on the leather, etc. I will be getting a chance to drive it if I think it's worth the extra money. Oh and it has 110,000km on it.

I could really use some help and advice. I'm really falling in love with these A4's and I've been looking at cars for a while and I need to pick something soon.

I heard that the 2002 A4's had some sludging problems and timing belt problems but it is my understanding that the timing belt is cued for an inspection before it gets sold to me and sludging can be solved by flushing the engine and putting in new synthetic fluids.

Please reply with anything, even food for thought!
Old 05-01-2009, 02:18 PM

I won't go for 2002 with 26km
I think it is too low on the milage. Too good to be true
When you resell the car, they based on the year mostly.
Then They will consider the milage if it is too high.
You live in canada, I paid mine 2004 a4 avant 1.8T with 8XXXX km for 17000 tax inlcuded in 2008 sept
Old 05-02-2009, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does it have a good options package? Sport package, Xenons, heated seat, etc?

I bought a 2002 with 67,000 miles that is also very clean car for an 02. It had sports package, technology package, leather, sun roof, Xenons, front and rear heated seats. I paid $10,200 for mine. Of course, my timing belt was about due, and I found a few other things to fix, so I ended up putting a few more thousand into it.

I'd think if the car was well optioned, and checked out fine at an Audi repair place, it would be worth $15,000. $17,000 is too much for an 02 unless it was a super low miles ultrasport
Old 05-03-2009, 04:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

First you need to run a Carfax to see if the mileage is correct. If it is, then you must determine where the car was stored. Low mileage vehicles that are stored outside in the US snowbelt or Canada are horrible for corrosion replated problems. Brake lines, transmission oil cooler lines, radiators, brake disks, and body rot are usually found in abundance. Finally, it would be helpful to determine the car's actual usage as far a Km per year. The Carfax MAY tell you this if it was registered in a place where they require mileage at each registration. A car that had some usage over the years is far preferrable to one that had some use and then sat for years. The latter can be a killer for maintenance as seals and rubber dry up and rot.

If it all checks out, buy it. Likely someone else will beat you to it (for better or worse).

Good Luck,
Mike
Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

26k? too low to be true. I've piled up 49k KM's on my 02 after almost 7 yrs of ownership and never heard of any 02's with a lower mileage.

mwspera is right about corrosion. Although I drive my car everyday, my last set of brake rotors rusted so bad that I needed to replace them last year. Living right off the coast doesn't help either.

I wouldn't spend my money on a car that was previously owned and driven hard by a kid, especially with 110k on the clock. I'm sure you can find a better deal elsewhere. Best of luck!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

i have an 04.5 for sale with 36,900 miles on it in Mass if your interested