A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Transmission Control Unit OR Module (Where is it located?)

Old 10-26-2011, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Control Unit OR Module (Where is it located?)

Hopefully someone can help me. I own:

Year: 2005
Make: Audi
Model: A4
Engine: 1.8T
Miles: 67k

The dealership is quoting me $2,300 to replace a Transmission Control Unit deep within my transmission. This problem arose after my check engine light came on and the 'P R N D S' display began flashing. I've searched 'Transmission Control Unit' or 'Transmission Control Module' on the forum and I'm not sure if these articles cover the same thing. First off, the TCM appears to be located under the dash or under a seat (according to the articles I've seen) and not inside the transmission as the dealer tells me. Second, the TCM part apparently costs between $900-$1,300 in the US and labor is 5 1/2 hours (making me think this part is deep inside the transmission).

Also, the check engine code is P07076 if that helps.

Can someone point me to an article or show me where in my Audi this part is located.

Side note: I brought the car into the dealership because the night before while driving on the free way, my car slipped out of gear (check engine light came on and 'P R N D S' started flashing). I rolled to a stop and restarted and my car was back in gear. Took it into the dealer and they told me I had a leak in a pressure valve within the crankcase. They replaced it for $900. I picked up and drove to work the next day on the freeway and 20 minutes into the drive the car seemed to lose acceleration slightly and the check engine light came on and 'P R N D S' started flashing again. Took it back to the dealership and they told me the new problem was a circuit in the transmission and they needed to replace the Transmission Control Unit for $2,300. Sounds fishy like maybe they fixed the wrong problem the first time.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a manual, but from what I have read, your symptoms sound related to the TCM. Your description of the problem the dealer fixed (leak in a pressure valve within the crankcase) doesn't even sound related to the transmission. Crankcase should be related to motor oil and I am not aware of any "pressure valve" in the crankcase. You sure you have the right description?

Also, the code you cited doesn't exist as far as I can tell. See the link below for all the VAG codes.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...P1555%2F005461
Old 10-27-2011, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same thing happen to my 2003 A4 1.8T CVT Transmission. It has been a few yrs, but my TCM went bad as well and dealer wanted around same price (over $2k). I actually called Audi directly and then spoke to dealer to complain and got both audi and dealership to help me out and I ended up paying nearly $1600 for part/labor. If i remember the TCM is actually located somewhere near or inside a part of the transmission. The part is over priced in my mind. Good Luck! I believe The cheapest i found the TCM for sale was like $500-700.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is very hard to believe but I called Audi Customer Relations and after about 7 days of back and forth between Audi and the dealership, Audi called me back and told me as a gesture of goodwill they would pay for repairs.

They paid for the Transmission Control Module and the labor but required me to pay $100 for oil and gaskets.

Unbelievable! Hopefully, Audi is doing this for those of you who are having the same issue.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by anthony123
Hopefully someone can help me. I own:

Year: 2005
Make: Audi
Model: A4
Engine: 1.8T
Miles: 67k

The dealership is quoting me $2,300 to replace a Transmission Control Unit deep within my transmission. This problem arose after my check engine light came on and the 'P R N D S' display began flashing. I've searched 'Transmission Control Unit' or 'Transmission Control Module' on the forum and I'm not sure if these articles cover the same thing. First off, the TCM appears to be located under the dash or under a seat (according to the articles I've seen) and not inside the transmission as the dealer tells me. Second, the TCM part apparently costs between $900-$1,300 in the US and labor is 5 1/2 hours (making me think this part is deep inside the transmission).

Also, the check engine code is P07076 if that helps.

Can someone point me to an article or show me where in my Audi this part is located.

Side note: I brought the car into the dealership because the night before while driving on the free way, my car slipped out of gear (check engine light came on and 'P R N D S' started flashing). I rolled to a stop and restarted and my car was back in gear. Took it into the dealer and they told me I had a leak in a pressure valve within the crankcase. They replaced it for $900. I picked up and drove to work the next day on the freeway and 20 minutes into the drive the car seemed to lose acceleration slightly and the check engine light came on and 'P R N D S' started flashing again. Took it back to the dealership and they told me the new problem was a circuit in the transmission and they needed to replace the Transmission Control Unit for $2,300. Sounds fishy like maybe they fixed the wrong problem the first time.
Call BBA reman. I did. It worked for me for only $500 plus instal.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default SO WHERE IS IT?

2005, A4, 1.8t 2dr convicted. So did anyone ever answer as to where the transmission control module is? That is all I need to know as there are all kinds of threads and replays.... all I need to know is where is the 2005, A4, transmission control module!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

It's in the ECU box under the hood. You'll need to remove the wiper blades, then the long plastic leaf guard or whatever it is actually called. Pull upwards and towards the front of the car after removing any metal spring clips. After the ECU cover is off (Torx T30) you will see the ECU with a spring steel retainer, which you unclip. The ECU might flex out of the way enough to reach the TCM underneath, if not there is a plastic bridge piece the pulls up once you press down on a small tab at each end. The TCM has a connector that pivots at one end, after you move a metal lever to unlock it. I had mine out just the other day to contact-clean connectors and remove relays for checking the condition of their contacts. By the way, the whole reason to do this was a hunch that the ECU relay was defective, and I did find that one of the contacts was barely touching its mate when the solenoid was activated.
The following users liked this post:
Gr8sLine (10-03-2021)
Old 09-15-2018, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 (B6) A4

On the 2003 A4 1.8T Quattro Avant with Automatic, The TCU is located under the ECU which is in the upper driver side under the hood up against the firewall. You need to take out a bunch of stuff and the wipers to get to the back screws on the cover.
Gr8sLine (10-03-2021)
Old 09-21-2018, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm afraid some information on this forum is not correct, the PRNDS is very common and can be a deal breaker as I know from experience as I have the same car and some people scrap the car !

However you only have 65K on the clock so maybe worth keeping... see my old post for images and read on:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...ation-2940762/

If the PRNDS lights flash on your dash its indicating a comms fault to the TCU as the gear position is not picked up correctly by the circuit in the TCU, the TCU is not in the engine, its inside your CVT gearbox at the back ! You need to drain the gear box of oil then remove the rear of the of the gearbox, you will have to drop the exhaust bracket out of the way too. ( I have done this 6 times now, the first time took me 3 hours, but you can do it once you know in about 40mins ).

Questions: does you car sometimes not go in reverse? or erratic gears changes? - if you can still drive the car but the PRNDS lights flash, you could try cycling the gear shift up and down and see of the lights stop flashing.

The solution is a new TCU and they are not cheap ! it cost me £900 for the TCU, then for the gearbox oil and gasket plus you need to have the new TCU coded to your car before it will work, all in it cost me £1500 ! nearly as much as my car which is why people sometimes scrap them. Inside the TCU there are small fine wires on a PCB, these come off over time with heat and oil can penetrate into the circuitboard, these are the causes of your PRNDS lights flashing as the sensor probes do not have the wires connected to then on the PCB.

You can try many of the TCU repair services, however I would be very careful and I do not recommend, I tried this and my TCU when it came back was completely ruined, its a 50 / 50 chance.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-VW-M...IAAOSwnvVbHUFf

Good luck !
frotuss (05-23-2022)